• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

CP200 - What's a good replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbvita

We are ready to migrate to Digital. The CP200 UHF is what we have now. What are my options. Would prefer a smaller, but durable version. Anybody have some experience with the newer radio's. I would think 4 to 5 watts is needed but that's a guess. Does digital go through buildings better.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
We are ready to migrate to Digital. The CP200 UHF is what we have now. What are my options. Would prefer a smaller, but durable version. Anybody have some experience with the newer radio's. I would think 4 to 5 watts is needed but that's a guess. Does digital go through buildings better.

Digital does not go through buildings better than analogue. What does influence building propagation is the band used, not the modulation being employed.

That said, the XPR3500 would be a good replacement if you insist on paying more than you need to for a radio. If you want a radio that is functionally like the CP200, just as durable, but cost less, look at the Vertex Standard VX-261. The company I work for, have somewhere between 70-100 VX-231 deployed and they have been rock solid.

While the VX-231 are obsolete, they have been replaced by the VX-261, and I would expect them to be as durable as the VX-231.

Not sure on price but I would guess they are significantly less than the XPR-3500.

clbsquared

I'm not sure how much longer they will be supported, but a CP200D (MotoTRBO)would be comparable to the CP200. Price wise they were around $350 new. I'm sure you can pick up some used ones fairly cheap.

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

446shop

PACNWDude

I had a ski patrol in my area with CP200 UHF radios ask me the same question. At that time I recommended the XPR6550 handhelds or lesser optioned versions as replacements. The cost was about $600 per radio and they decided to keep the CP200's a little longer. A few months ago they mentioned that they wished they had bought the XPR6550's after seeing another group use them at their lcoation.

The other group only used their new Trbo XPR radios in analog UHF though. Like has been said, you will get slightly less range in digital mode. Many users also do not need a full keypad or display. If your needed range is less than one mile, DPL radios may be an option if you are able to leave UHF behind.

KG7PBS

I am sorry but you all are wrong on less Range on Digital. My friends and i have gotten better Range in DMR then Analog by miles, on UHF in the City of Reno. We could talk Simplex in FDMA good and we get better Range in TDMA simplex. Are XPR 3500s beat are XTS 5000 in P25 mode too.

Status
Not open for further replies.