• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

CP200XLS Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

nozzlenut83

Recently came upon a few VHF CP200XLS radios. I don't have much experience with the Commercial Series radios. My biggest question is how does the channel line-up work? Is it a straight Ch 1 to Ch 128 forwards and backwards? Or are there Zones/Banks like the Professional Series HT1250?

Any insight before we meet with our radio shop would be appreciated.

Thanks

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
Recently came upon a few VHF CP200XLS radios. I don't have much experience with the Commercial Series radios. My biggest question is how does the channel line-up work? Is it a straight Ch 1 to Ch 128 forwards and backwards? Or are there Zones/Banks like the Professional Series HT1250?

Any insight before we meet with our radio shop would be appreciated.

Thanks
I manage an inventory of 20 CP200XLS radios. There's no zones. You enter your personalities in any sequence you want. If you add more later, they'll go at the end of the personality list.

But, there is a place in the CPS where you determine the channel sequence with drag and drop.

Certainly, they're a bit simpler than the Pro Series radio, and they do have an extra feature that is attractive to hams: You can program them for multiple PL's. If you have a VHF 136-162 MHz model or the UHF 438-470 Mhz model, you can program in all the normal ham repeater pairs. With the MPL feature, you should be able to connect to any analog repeater that you might encounter.

nozzlenut83

Thanks for the help. 128 channels just seemed like a lot of knob turning to get around. That's why I wanted to sit down and figure out a channel sequence that would be easiest and most useful. Fortunately only about 20 channels are going in these radios.

Thanks much

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the help. 128 channels just seemed like a lot of knob turning to get around. That's why I wanted to sit down and figure out a channel sequence that would be easiest and most useful. Fortunately only about 20 channels are going in these radios.

Thanks much
Right now, I have 35 frequencies in our radios. I grouped the most common channels close to our primary which is in position #1. Unlike older radios, there's no stop on the rotary knob so you can think of the channels as being arranged in a circle. For us, channel 35 is right next to channel 1. In fact, I aliased all the channels with their name rather than a number so folks don't have to remember what channel number is what operational channel. So you can place your most commonly used channels on either side of your primary. That also makes the Up/Down buttons on the front panel even more functional. I hope that makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.