CPAT Units?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kf7yn

I am hearing CPAT units on UHP South TG. I assume CPAT is an acronym for Construction Patrol since they usually seem to be in and around the construction on I-15 in Utah Co. Is this correct?

kgmallory

This is correct. They are actually "Courtesy PATrol." but Construction PATrol would be just as appropriate. They operate almost like IMT units, but specifically within the iCore project. They regularly assist stranded motorists, as well as at accident scenes.

bchris

Cpat

They have access to official UHP channels?
Are they not just construction employees?
I hear officers picking up extra 'PRC' shifts, but presumably in their own patrol car (and UHP radio).
I would find it interesting if they are willing to 'borrow' official UHP radios to civilians...?

--bc

Junior1970

The guy driving the truck looked like an average joe with a reflective vest on. However it's important to note that an 800 Mhz whip was nowhere to be seen on these trucks....

Since TG 19744 is simulcast on 151.085 my guess is that they put the old VHF radios in these vehicles as the antennas on the trucks suggest that. Also the old car to car (155.745) is VERY active down here and the UHP vehicles still have this channel and a VHF whip on the UHP vehicles. I have heard CPAT units on the old C2C talking with troopers....especially really early in the morning near the end of an overnight closure or lane shift procedure.

Looking back to when the Tango (Incident Management Vehicles) units ran the freeway before this debachle began the drivers of those are UDOT guys who basically didn't look any different than the guy driving the truck I photo'd yesterday.........

kf7yn

It is interesting to note that CPAT-1 and CPAT-2 have distinctive and separate radio IDs on 800 MHz so they must have 800 MHz radios, otherwise they would show up as a VHF patch ID which I don't think is the case. But hey I could be wrong.

Observer1

The guy driving the truck looked like an average joe with a reflective vest on. However it's important to note that an 800 Mhz whip was nowhere to be seen on these trucks....

Since TG 19744 is simulcast on 151.085 my guess is that they put the old VHF radios in these vehicles as the antennas on the trucks suggest that. Also the old car to car (155.745) is VERY active down here and the UHP vehicles still have this channel and a VHF whip on the UHP vehicles. I have heard CPAT units on the old C2C talking with troopers....especially really early in the morning near the end of an overnight closure or lane shift procedure.

Looking back to when the Tango (Incident Management Vehicles) units ran the freeway before this debachle began the drivers of those are UDOT guys who basically didn't look any different than the guy driving the truck I photo'd yesterday.........

They likely just have handheld radios. No need for an antenna on the truck. Having seen several agencies handhelds in SL County they have most of the separate agencies in their handhelds. So a Trooper can jump on to SLCPD or SLCPD can jump on WVC. So they likely have handhelds with the UHP frequencies.

Status
Not open for further replies.