CPD Conventional P25 Use

Status
Not open for further replies.

ILjim

Premium Subscriber
Zone 8 is now P25 (and yes, ENC). Didn't catch a NAC, TG, or anything like that though. They were previously using Citywide 6 for a while before being told to switch to "C-8" on their radios. This makes them the 2nd zone to switch to P25 conventional.

llzel

Premium Subscriber
Following along here. As I gather, CPD is switching to P25. Will they be on the Chicago OEMC system? Or will CPD have their own control channels? As stated earlier, I'm a bit confused

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
Following along here. As I gather, CPD is switching to P25. Will they be on the Chicago OEMC system? Or will CPD have their own control channels? As stated earlier, I'm a bit confused

According to the op they are p25, non trunked conventional (at least for now), and encrypted

ILjim

Premium Subscriber
I updated the database. Let us know what the NAC is when you get a chance.
Getting a NAC of 405, along with TG 5908.
They will eventually switch to the citywide P25 Phase II trunked system. For the time being, it looks like they're upgrading their 460 MHz repeaters to P25.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
They will eventually switch to the citywide P25 Phase II trunked system. For the time being, it looks like they're upgrading their 460 MHz repeaters to P25.

Negative on that, no intention to do so, they're repurposing the current UHF channels to Digital encryption. District Tact teams, OCD, Mayoral Detail, Marine Unit and a few other covert units are using the P25 800 Mhz system (TGID 5000's series), but have all been issued APX8000 multi-band radios with the encryption keys for the zones and upcoming citywides.

I just watched the Scanner Guys You Tube video and see that Rich mentioned this also. The OEMC has provided the feed for Zones 8 & 9 already, but no intention of going to the P25 800 Trunking system.

Last edited:

ILjim

Premium Subscriber
Negative on that, no intention to do so, they're repurposing the current UHF channels to Digital encryption.

Thanks for straightening the record on that. I never heard anything about it, but it makes sense considering that most CPD activity on the Phase II system is currently non-dispatch related.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for straightening the record on that. I never heard anything about it, but it makes sense considering that most CPD activity on the Phase II system is currently non-dispatch related.

More likely that since the 460 UHF has worked so well for 50+ years, and very few "range issues", why change it up. I know we have quite a few speculations floating around, but the citywides will be encrypted and I don't believe the OEMC is going to provide a stream. Twitter posters, Facebook posters, streaming availability, rogue radios and the BLM and Antifa riots monitoring Citywides on their cell phones downtown are expediting this move. Mid-to end of July is the targeted completion.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Twitter posters, Facebook posters, streaming availability, rogue radios and the BLM and Antifa riots monitoring Citywides on their cell phones downtown are expediting this move. Mid-to end of July is the targeted completion.

It's been very successful. No "live tweeting" of disturbances/domestics/any odd and funny things heard within the Zone 8 & 9 boundaries. Only citywide simulcasts when the simulcast is available (which will also be encrypted), are being tweeted now from the 4th,5th,6th,22nd Districts.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
It's been very successful. No "live tweeting" of disturbances/domestics/any odd and funny things heard within the Zone 8 & 9 boundaries. Only citywide simulcasts when the simulcast is available (which will also be encrypted), are being tweeted now from the 4th,5th,6th,22nd Districts.

Some classic examples from Twitter within the past day:

" xxxx S Rhodes: the apartment was broken into and the caller's piggy bank and cannabis was taken."

"xxxxx South Chicago Ave: a call of some dumba** kids throwing rocks and bricks at a family of ducks, they are trying to kill them, they threatened to kill the caller who told them to stop."

" "We don't have the new encrypted radios so I don't believe I can contact the 022nd District."

" Zone 8 got action, a call of shots fired at xxxxx S Indianapolis, on the Chicago Skyway, but they encrypted, so you ain't hear it from me. "

I know you're here lurking under a different screen name. Keep it up youngin, and your donation train will end once it's all over. Plenty of drive-thru's and train movement to Tweet from the burbs I'm sure. :cool:

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
There is/ was a certain ham radio operator who is very Anti Chicago police and was called out on a website run by a CPD officer when the NATO party was here He/She/They were tweeting police operations and movements.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Is fire going to follow in the PD’s footsteps and go encrypted??

On the current system, they do have encryption available, but hasn't been used since the testing phase. On the P25 Trunking system, we have a thread dedicated to that system, and all of our findings are there if you'd like to get caught up:

Status
Not open for further replies.