CPD division question

Status
Not open for further replies.

flydream777

I noticed on the CARMA profile for CPD Radio the "Traffic Section"(3000s) and the "Public Transportation Section" (4100s). What is the difference between the two? I also noticed that the only K9 officers listed are in the public transportation section... are these the canine officers for the whole department?

ctrabs74

flydream777 said:
I noticed on the CARMA profile for CPD Radio the "Traffic Section"(3000s) and the "Public Transportation Section" (4100s). What is the difference between the two?

"Traffic Section" is the traffic safety/enforcement division (may also cover parking, but don't quote me on that; I don't know exactly how CPD refers to it's traffic division); "Public Transportation Section" patrols the L trains and CTA buses.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Pretty much on the money. Traffic Enforcement handles Lake Shore Drive and the Chicago Skyway. In addition they also conduct the roadside safety checks in the districts , D.U.I. checkpoints things of this nature. Traffic Enforcement will be handling the "new" push for radar enforcement hot spots. What get's confusing is you may also hear a "traffic car" on the Zones. They basically handle accidents and parking complaints district-wide only. They are not assigned to the Traffic Enforcement Section. (3200 Series Units).
Public Transportation (4100 Series Units) handles the CTA. Referred to as Mass Transit Officers. They have Canine Units assigned to them as well. Their Beat Number designations seem to frequently change, but currently use 4610-4639A-D. Third number designates the watch. The letter designations at the end are the officers, without are Sergeants. They are currently assigned to the Special Operations Section, but you must keep up as it seems to change frequently. All are assigned to operate on City-Wide 1, however can also utilize the Zones.

flydream777

Are there K9 officers in the zones, or do they have to borrow from public trans?

Also, with identifiers like 811E or smthg, does the E mean anything special or is it just the sixth car assigned to beat 811?

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
K-9's are city wide. If you listen during shift changes, you'll hear where they have been assigned. Ex : "4618C, up Narcotics-south"

Status
Not open for further replies.