Cpd Full Encryption????

Status
Not open for further replies.

CFP

Is the Chicago Police going to a full encryption digital radio system for all dispatch????

thanks

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
CFP said:
Is the Chicago Police going to a full encryption digital radio system for all dispatch????

thanks

Their has been some discussion of this by the current "higher-ups". That may change as a new Superintendent is selected and the top changes. The only reason to go encrypted would be our own fault though. I frequently see posts about "CPD Trunking, Narcs" and things of that nature on the public boards. We need to police ourselves and contain ourselves when "we hear something good" on these systems. Yes, it could be encrypted tomorrow if they so desired, so the next time anyone feels the urge to report on here that "I can't hear anything on CPD trunking", maybe send private messages to those of us who monitor it regularly and can help.
The initial report of the new Digital System is CPD is going to be Trunking. If we, as responsible scanner folks could maybe not regularly report on everytime some radio tech burps, says Test 1,2,3 and get's on the board and reports they" found a new Talkgroup" which later turns out to be incorrect, and can just take a breath and listen as the system develops and share privately, the thought is not everyone is listening. I subscribe to the Starcom board and see this happen frequently. I'm one of those that prefer to listen for a few days , take notes on what I heard, and keep a little list off to the side. When the CPD UHF Trunking does become reality, it will be quite complex I bet. They are currently updating consoles down at the OEMC. I do not know exactly what is being added, but you can bet a new radio system is being retrofitted as well as those cameras all over the city. Be patient everyone...

KSJ745

Even if the city goes totally encrypted, you can be like the "members" of a certain "group" that listen to exciting, on the edge of your seat, nail biting, drive-thru orders at McDonalds

Last edited:

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
bubbz said:
They're probably going to be going to a system quite like Cleveland PD's system.
"VELSEP"

VSELP is not available any more - so odds of that are...

0%

rdale

Premium Subscriber
KSJ745 said:
Even if the city goes totally encrypted, you can be like the "members" of a certain "group" that listen to exciting, on the edge of your seat, nail biting, drive-thru orders at McDonalds

What does this have to do with CPD encryption?

FPO703

werinshades said:
Their is a link for Live Broadcast...it must be monitorable??

They have one of the radios with the 'media template' in it. Which, contains Fire Dispatch, EMS Dispatch, & the 6 District Police Channels. That's it.

Astro25

rdale said:
VSELP is not available any more - so odds of that are...

0%

VSELP radios are infact very avaliable. Altho not sold commercially, all you need to do is re-flash the appropriate-banded (of your choice) AstroSaber, AstroSpectra, or XTS3000 with an older flash from the VSELP era.

If you know how to do it right, you have a VSELP radio. Congratulations.

rdale

Premium Subscriber
This just in - you need more than a VSELP-flashed radio to implement a VSELP system.

You cannot contact Motorola and buy a VSELP system.

XTS3000

rdale, Astro25 is correct. Re-read his post. It says "altho not sold commercially", which means motorola will not sell you VSELP flashes. However if you know what your doing, you can flash your own Astro radio for vselp.

There are a crap ton of "AP" firmware astros on ebay which are prime canidates for VSELP.

rdale

Premium Subscriber
Re-read this thread -- it's talking about Chicago PD. Someone claimed they might switch to VSELP and I said that can't happen because Motorola doesn't sell VSELP systems anymore. Everything you and Astro said has verified my claim, so I guess I'm confused what the posts are about.

jasonpeoria911

Database Admin
No need to have this conversation now really, Chicago Police won't be going to any new digital system for at least 5 years. From what Iremember, they tested digital on a zone for a period and they absolutely hated it. This was a couple years ago I believe. Either way, it takes years to get a whole city of Chicago size up and running on a new digital system for PD. I think the trends down the line will decide on if Chicago goes encrypted or not.

Jason

bessiedawg

The more pressing question is "Will the Cubs be able to win their division !"

OK, digital will probably come first even if it five years away.

cipher77

Astro25 said:
VSELP radios are infact very avaliable. Altho not sold commercially, all you need to do is re-flash the appropriate-banded (of your choice) AstroSaber, AstroSpectra, or XTS3000 with an older flash from the VSELP era.

If you know how to do it right, you have a VSELP radio. Congratulations.

You're kidding right? CPD will put their officers lifes on the line w/ radios that haven't been manufactured in 4 years (astro saber)...........dont think so........ & so much for interoperability -- say goodbye to all the DHS $$$............

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
jasonpeoria911 said:
No need to have this conversation now really, Chicago Police won't be going to any new digital system for at least 5 years. From what Iremember, they tested digital on a zone for a period and they absolutely hated it. This was a couple years ago I believe. Either way, it takes years to get a whole city of Chicago size up and running on a new digital system for PD. I think the trends down the line will decide on if Chicago goes encrypted or not.

Jason

Sooner than 5 years i'm sure. After the latest press tidbit, it makes the city look bad. Da Mayor doesn't like this, so now the questions are being asked. I still think the CFD will be over by years end. The towers will be modified to accomodate the equipment , and the switch will be made. Like I said in another post, if we can just contain ourselves when the system starts to get tested, and not report every "burp, test 1..2.3....etc" and show their are responsible scanner monitors out there, encryption may be less likely to be used. The average criminal probably won't be buying a $500 scanner to listen to them anyway.

KSJ745

jasonpeoria911 said:

Jason

Anyone who knows anything about the CPD system will know that ENCRYPTION is already being used from time to time. CPD also had one of the earliest DVP set ups on the old VHF system going back to the late 80's. Also "back in the day", in a pinch, some specialized CPD units would borrow a radio or two from Streets and Sanitation. Some would even go as far as using officer owned VHF/UHF business band radio's for covert ops. Today some officers also use NEXTEL .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.