• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

CPI Tone Remote/ Astro Consolette

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgfromwy

Premium Subscriber
I'm attempting to connect a CPI DR-10 tone remote to an astro spectra consolette base station. I have a service manual for the consolette, but no documentation whatsoever on the CPI consoles. The consolette DOES have the tone remote board installed. So far I have done the following:

I have made a cable connected to the accessory 2 port in the back of the consolette per the manufacturer instructions as follows:

Line 1 + (green) pin 1
Line 1 - (red) pin 16
Line 2 + (black) pin 3
Line 2 - (yellow) pin 11

I have set the consolette for 4-wire operation (instead of 2-wire), as the unit was completely non-functional in 2-wire mode. Currently, the dr10 unit receives perfectly, but I am unable to key the radio to transmit.

If anyone has any experience with this, your help would be greatly appreciated!

mgfromwy

Premium Subscriber
Receive Audio DR10

I've made some progress, but I was wondering if anyone has any experience with these units. I'm using the DR10 remote in conjunction with a DTP series termination panel, connected to an astro consolette. I have been able to get the PTT function to work, and the transmit audio comes through the radio fine. I can't, however, get the receive audio through to the remote. I have the receive audio input on the DTP panel connected to the filtered audio output on the accessory port of the consolette. If anyone has installed one of these setups, your input would be greatly appreciated.

mgfromwy

Premium Subscriber
Try grounding the SQUELCH terminal on the DTP Panel and see if audio passes.

Thanks for the reply. I just tried this, and I had enormous hopes, lol. Unfortunately no luck. Something interesting though, if I connect FILT_AUD on the consolette to the SQUELCH port on the DTP for just a moment, then connect it back to the RX input on the DTP, audio passes through. The problem is, There is a lot of electrical noise that comes with it (similar to ground loop), and if you cycle the radio off, then on again, the audio goes dead. It's like the current from the squelch circuit somehow opens the FILT_AUD output on the radio. Anyone have any ideas? I have tested the FILT_AUD pin on the radio, and there is voltage present when a signal is received.

morganAL

You might also try a logic Hi on the SQUELCH input and see if that opens it. I have no experience with the Astro Consolette but have a number of TTP series termination panels in service.

Thanks for the reply. I just tried this, and I had enormous hopes, lol. Unfortunately no luck. Something interesting though, if I connect FILT_AUD on the consolette to the SQUELCH port on the DTP for just a moment, then connect it back to the RX input on the DTP, audio passes through. The problem is, There is a lot of electrical noise that comes with it (similar to ground loop), and if you cycle the radio off, then on again, the audio goes dead. It's like the current from the squelch circuit somehow opens the FILT_AUD output on the radio. Anyone have any ideas? I have tested the FILT_AUD pin on the radio, and there is voltage present when a signal is received.

gtriever

Premium Subscriber
If you're going to use a DC remote on a tone remote radio, you're gonna need one of these: DC to Tone Converters, | TESSCO 800 472 7373

Otherwise you need to figure out the pinouts from your DC termination panel to the consolette's LOCAL control functions. Going from a DC term panel to a tone remote input isn't going to work.

maxkelley

... or you could just get a tone remote, which sounds a bit easier :) In fact, tone remotes seem to be the preferred route for a number of reasons... they can be passed over telephone lines easier, they are lower voltage than DC remotes, immune to switching of polarity on the line... Just a lot better overall!

Status
Not open for further replies.