CPS / CFD / AHS EMS Going Encrypted

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Ambulance2014

Talked with a Constable in Calgary Police Service that is with the Communications Department. Currently the CPS Managment & Others in CPS are Possibly Deciding to Encrypt the Entire CPS System and channels in the next few months. Alot of channels carry alot of personal information on them etc. I guess sombody in CPS found the Channels on RR and brought it to the Attention of Chief Rick Hansen who was really concered once he saw what we can acesss and listen to on the system.

Also Talk going around that Calgary Metro & CFD will be encrypting all there channels as well on Calgary Digital Radio System sometime in the Future as well..Anybody know anything about this?

Kinda sounds dumb to encrpyt the FD when rarly to no time is there any private information that is talked over the radio. i guess we might be having to do what the UK Does and encypt all emergency services channels :( :(

VE6E0

While this is not surpising, nor unexpected, the time line of a few months is not realistic. What comes to mind in the forefront, is if the command has decided to upgrade the current system or if they have decided to join AFRRCS. Not even sure if the politicing has been finished and a decision made. Then there are going to be some updating that will be needed, ranging from codeplugs to the consoles, and inbetween.

I suspect we are two years away from any switch.

Cheers

A

Ambulance2014

I know this is for a different thread but Do we know what Services are going encryption on the New System?
Hope EMS & Fire don't as I don't see a point with fire Departments to go encrypted. Hopefully they decide to leave some channels open that aren't so sensitive to information.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
I suspect E0 is right (that we're years away) as we're still only seeing towers being switched on and in wide-area testing.

I think agencies might be driven to encryption by things like kids programming up radios to listen and "dispatch" themselves to emergency scenes on their bikes. That's dangerous.

smason

I guess sombody in CPS found the Channels on RR and brought it to the Attention of Chief Rick Hansen who was really concered once he saw what we can acesss and listen to on the system.

I dunno, I've been scanning a long time. I have to think the number of people listening today is WAY lower than when CPS was on 462 MHZ and every Radio Shack had a scanner running behind the counter, and had all of the frequencies listed for anyone who wanted it.Not sure why it's suddenly such a big deal.
Sure the info is out there, but scanners aren't as easy to find as they were back then, and they're more expensive.

maplebear

Premium Subscriber
On the first anniversary of the southern Alberta flood; I think back on how I listened to the different scanners to keep up on what was going on. Things were changing very fast. I was able to keep up the latest information to keep me and my family safe. One of the radio systems I listened to was the Calgary Digital Radio . It was a great way to keep up on the latest information that was going on.
I think how different things would be if the radio systems was encrypted.
I have listened to many events over the years. There have many times were the scanners kept us safe.
The authorities could not get a hold of the media to let the public know what was going on.
I remember many times listening to the front line workers how when they passed on messages from one agency to other the message totally changed by the time it got to the end agency.

MrVelvet

Sounds like CPS is moving all 1 District units to Telus MIKE phones today. Whether it's for a full district test or an actual implementation is unknown.

Beginning of the end?

A

Ambulance2014

Not a Surprise CPS Maybe Going Encrypted. Seen this coming from a Long Ways Down The Road.

Bravo1

District 5 just flipped over to test the "Mike" phone...

I am afraid these may be our last days in being able to monitor..

Sad day indeed...

MrVelvet

So, it sounds like the entire Motorola system will be undergoing an upgrade today resulting in 2 complete outages.

That is likely the reason CPS is switching over to MIKE phones today.

Heidi750

Premium Subscriber
I noticed that the CFD is having a lot of communications problems at this time.
Looks like everything is coming through on the Back Up Systems.

E8 CFD BU FOREST LAWN
E6 CFD BU BANKERS HALL
E7 CFD BU BANKERS HALL

Anyone hearing anything?

Bravo1

Radio's keep going digital and bonking out which is a safety hazard for officers..

Just my opinion - but I'd much rather they go home to their families rather than providing me with the ability to monitor - is it a disappointment, sure...

Bravo1

Mr. Velvet - so is the upgrade going to fix a lot of their issues and is the switch to MIKE phones temporary for the outage only?

Bravo1

Update: Just got confirmation to discontinue use of the MIKE radios - resuming normal radio traffic now.

And roll call's beginning Radio's sounding a lot less digital...

MrVelvet

Yep, back onto the Motorola system now, but Dispatch is having problems. (sounds like they are on portables right now)

SCPD

QRT
I would guess they are only doing it during that tower down time. I feel ( which doesn't mean anything) that CPS and EPS will move to the Alberta wide system when it is ready. We can only hope it simply stays digital and does not go encrypted ( some channels is understandable).

CanadaUser

CPS Mike Phones

The 'test' about a week ago. I think they tried to rush the switch and it didn't work well. Sounds like today around noon they did a full changeover to Mike phones. I recall having Mike phones at a company I worked at years ago - they were basically a phone and walkie talkie. Granted they've no doubt advanced but wouldn't Mike phone radio transmissions still require frequencies? Does anyone know if it's possible to obtain them? Or can anyone confirm they are encrypted? Thanks !

Status
Not open for further replies.