• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

CPS HEX EDIT QUESTION

Status
Not open for further replies.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
I am attempting a hex edit via HexD on my XTS2500. I’ve been successful in going up to 480 from the 470 limit that it came with. I want to cover up to 512mhz to receive other services in the upper uhf. Here’s the problem
I don’t know how to convert 512 MHz to a hex string. IE... 480 MHz =00 38 9C 1C
That one I found somewhere on the internet and I was successful with it. Can someone tell me how do I convert 512 MHz to a hex string ?

Manny

N1GTL

Database Admin
I'm a bit confused, Manny. I'm assuming you want to modify PatPort.exe? You modified it to go from 430-470 and changed it to 430-480? Now you want to bump it from 480 to 512?

N1GTL

Database Admin
Hit post too quick.

Open windows calculator and click VIEW and change it from STANDARD to PROGRAMMER. That will add radio buttons for HEX and DEC options. I modified my PatPort to go from 450-512 to 440-512 so I can use the "S" models and program ham frequencies..

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
I'm a bit confused, Manny. I'm assuming you want to modify PatPort.exe? You modified it to go from 430-470 and changed it to 430-480? Now you want to bump it from 480 to 512?
Sorry for the confusion. The radio is a 403-470 split R1. I experimented bringing it to 480 to see if that would work. I found a site that actually gave me the string for that as they were using it as an example on how to do it. Now that I have been successful, I want to expand that so instead of the high limit being 480, I want it to be 512. That’s all.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
You can expand it up to 512 but I doubt your VCO will lock much past 480.
I’ve done this before to an XTS 3000 and I received NYC stuff up in the high 480s it’s for receive not transmit anyway so I’ll take what I can get. I just forgot how I did it in the past. It’s been a while.

K2NEC

I have found that most radios won't mind 10mhz up or down. Past 10 it can get tricky and might need to be re-aligned.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Well, maybe I’ll just leave it at 480 MHz then. Don’t wanna chance it and brick the radio. 480 will let me cover anything analog in CT.

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
yeah you might get 10 mhz tops. I usually do the reverse since i need high uhf for work and ham for me so i buy high split and hex edit the low 450 side down to 440.

matty909

I have been searching for information to bring my "S" split xts5000 down from 450 to 440 but didn't find the offset yet (was trying to rush before work) but from bits and pieces I have seen it looks like there are a few hex strings that look identical and also looks as if there are duplicates in the same string? I will attach a link to the bbatlabs page i came across but any help would be great.
bat labs link

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
I was successful in modifying it to 480 MHz. After the discussions on here, I figured it’s the best and safest way to go.

matty909

yeah you might get 10 mhz tops. I usually do the reverse since i need high uhf for work and ham for me so i buy high split and hex edit the low 450 side down to 440.

I'm looking to do this edit as well but I have been unsuccessful with finding the offset value that needs to be changed. I'm running CPS R20.01.00 and using HXD

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Take the hack for other versions of CPS, search for the original bytes to change in your version and change them.

matty909

Take the hack for other versions of CPS, search for the original bytes to change in your version and change them.

I don't think I have the right information. I'm not seeing any offsets that match the link I posted above and I seen where people say to use akardam.net Motorola Tools & Documents - CPS Out of Band Modification HOW-TO but the links I find are dead ends, everywhere I search I come up with nothing. unless it's something I don't understand so I don't see it right there in front of me

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
I opened the CPS using HXD and modified the exec files that way. I have the CPS disk anyway and the radio was never connected during the mod so I had nothing to lose. Now, I can read from and write to the radio without any issues. I know it’s not the preferred way to do it but it works.

Manny

Status
Not open for further replies.