CPSE San Antonio

Status
Not open for further replies.

scrotumola

It seems like the days of City Public Service Energy's Motorola Type IIi system are numbered.

Seen yesterday were crews with cheap-looking motorola i325 IS, an FRS/Nextel hybrid looking radio.
Closer inspection revealed a SIM card and confirmation of intrinsically safe seals and battery. The radio not only looks cheap, but feels cheap-like a VERY lightweight FRS toy/disposable radio. The radio says IDEN on it (UGH!) and appears to have talk groups similar to the old system. From what I heard of the group, they act like nextels, complete with direct connect, group connect and phone interconnect functions.

There was some grumbling about alot of major dead spots with the new radios, but that other service centers were still using the old system which leads me to believe that the entire system has not been cut-over, meaning not all sites are populated with IDEN technology.

Of course this is CPSE and /\/\otorola so we know it came with a hefty pricetag.

tunnelmot

Premium Subscriber
Its amazing what can be sold these days. I would venture to guess that the current system had little wrong with it, huh?

Rich

*Edit- I know the Entergy smartnet sys seems to work well with good portable coverage around here, but who knows what they'll get sold in the future*

scrotumola

I do not know if rebanding had a big effect on CPSE's comm system, but I do know that the system being replaced was a well-engineered multi-site 800 Type IIi and done right with not many deadspots known.

To this day I contend that if the city of San Antonio had competant and knowledgable decision makers with the forethought and desire to operate a good system, they could have still been on a /\/\ type IIi system with not nearly as many deadspots as they have now with the M/C provoice/edacs/esk system.
CPSE was still using STXs, MTSs and the like on their older systems, but upgrades to newer compatible equipment to build onto the existing infrastructure were made to a point until this new IDEN solution (crap) was sold to CPSE.

TXEMT

I agree the moto systme has good coverege just need an upgrade, as far as the provoice system and dead spots, there are a few and inside stores and other structures radio freaks out and scans through all the towers or is stuck on WA Scan...

Status
Not open for further replies.