CPU Power Supply + Ham Radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

muhockey86

One of the guys down the hall from me last year had is ham unit hooked up to his pc power supply. After looking it up, there is atleast 1 12v hook up. So the question is, is this safe/recommended if you have an extra power supply laying around?

R

Rayjk110

I used one on one of my MaxTracs/CDM1250's a while ago.

The most amperage you can expect to pull off of the 12v Voltage Rail is anywhere from about 5-10A off of an average computer P/S.

muhockey86

Ya, it was an average 2001 pc and I don't plan to transmit...if it pulls 15A to transmit I figure I should be safe scanning?

N

N_Jay

muhockey86 said:
Ya, it was an average 2001 pc and I don't plan to transmit...if it pulls 15A to transmit I figure I should be safe scanning?

Some PC supplies don't like working without being hooked to a PC.

Damn software!

CqDx

I belive you would need to put a 10W load resistor in the PS, as you might expected, you can't just use a computer power supply and expect it to work off the shelf for ham radio use.

Google around for "computer bench test power supply". Since you don't use it for transmit, the current draw will be minimal and you should be fine.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hy Mu and all,

Older computer PSUs operate independently of the mother board but 250W total outpit comes down to perhaps an amp or two at 12V for powering the CPU cooler and cabinet cooling fan. Such is quite suitable for powering a scanner or other low power device, for more power rather extensive and complicated modifications are required. In any case they have great voltage regulation being designed to hold the output to fine tolerances with an input of 90-130VAC (US).

For more information without the speculation I just finished reading check out the various ham radio web sites. Remember, hams do it with high frequency. Oscillator aligator, VFO crocodile. For the Canadians a sked is NOT pulled by a team of dogs, your tewk is too tight. (DOH!)

Status
Not open for further replies.