TRX-1: CPU Reset

Status
Not open for further replies.

k6wxz

Is there a way to reset the TRX-1?
While loading frequencies, I must have done something wrong and I am now unable to reset the scanner. I tried the ez scan method with no luck. It seems like the software is hung up and waiting for USB. I removed the batteries and waited for a few munites with no luck. I waited for about an hour with the batteries out and the cable disconnected and no luck. I tried the options under the Scanner/SD Card tab with no luck. I thought there might be a way to do a reset. Some scanners I owned in the past you could hold down a couple of buttons while turning power on and it would do a factory CPU reset.

Larry - K6WXZ

lehigh4me

Premium Subscriber
Have you tried pressing the menu button, while the scanner is waiting for USB? It should take you out of that screen. Or possibly unplug the USB cable and plug it back in?

DJ11DLN

Please type what is displayed on the screen it sounds like you need to update CPU firmware as it got dropped.
Agree, sounds as if he accidentally erased his FW. At least it will be an easy fix, thankfully these radios seem to be impossible to brick unless you use a heavy blunt object or gross overvoltage.

ab8sf

Just tried programming scanner. Manually was OK but rather slow. Put SD card in computer uploaded with EZ Scan software. No problem. Put card back in radio.... Had identical problem to the thread originator. I tried the reset procedure goodmore suggested. No luck.
The screen on the scanner says:
uP Boot Ver:F1.3
uP App Ver: NONE
CPU SW Upgrade:
Waiting for USB

It makes no difference if USB is connected or not - same message. The radio will accept no data.
It also doesn't let me access the SD card when it is installed, but no problem with card in computer.

Ideas?

DJ11DLN

Just tried programming scanner. Manually was OK but rather slow. Put SD card in computer uploaded with EZ Scan software. No problem. Put card back in radio.... Had identical problem to the thread originator. I tried the reset procedure goodmore suggested. No luck.
CPU SW Upgrade:
Waiting for USB

It makes no difference if USB is connected or not - same message. The radio will accept no data.
It also doesn't let me access the SD card when it is installed, but no problem with card in computer.

Ideas?
Try reinstalling the driver. There are known issues getting the correct driver installed on Windows 8, 8.1, and 10. I recall reading some reports that even when the correct driver was installed and working, after a Windows Update it had to be reinstalled because Windows erased it in favor of the "correct" version. A quick search of "unsigned driver issues" will bring up what I'm referring to if you don't recall. Try that and if it the computer still doesn't see the scanner, I'd say it's time to invoke your warranty, you may have a defective unit.

DonS

CPU SW Upgrade:
Waiting for USB

Your scanner has no firmware. You need to install it via the EXE on the Whistler web site:
https://whistlergroup.com/products/trx-1-cpu-firmware-installer

Starting with the scanner powered OFF and NOT connected to the PC:
1. Open Windows Device Manager
2. Expand "Ports (COM & LPT)"
3. Connect the scanner to the PC
4. Scanner enters mode displayed above
5. New COM port should appear in Device Manager (after ~8 seconds)
6. Note the COM port number

Run the downloaded updater EXE, using the COM port noted in #6. In the instructions presented by the updater, skip step 1 - you're already in CPU SW Upgrade mode.

Machria

Premium Subscriber
Your scanner has no firmware. You need to install it via the EXE on the Whistler web site:
https://whistlergroup.com/products/trx-1-cpu-firmware-installer

Starting with the scanner powered OFF and NOT connected to the PC:
1. Open Windows Device Manager
2. Expand "Ports (COM & LPT)"
3. Connect the scanner to the PC
4. Scanner enters mode displayed above
5. New COM port should appear in Device Manager (after ~8 seconds)
6. Note the COM port number

Run the downloaded updater EXE, using the COM port noted in #6. In the instructions presented by the updater, skip step 1 - you're already in CPU SW Upgrade mode.

Great info. I have to save this link for the future, thanks don.

ab8sf

Thanks Don. Kudos and accolades! The only adjustment I had to make was that I had to connect the radio first to make the Device Manager populate the Ports. It's a new computer and this was quite literally the only external device other than a USB mouse.

Status
Not open for further replies.