CQ WPX SSB Contest, and a little story

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shortwavewave

I remember last year on this same date was the first time I had setup my Radio away from my house, which was in Lake Eufaula, OK, learned alot since then, but this is how it went

"" the soft glow of my radios display was the only light visable as far as the eye could see, not knowing what to expect, a raccon sneeking up behind me, or bugs crawling up my legs, I didnt care I was set dead on my cold seat, tuning around I heard this,
"JA(callsign) japan, to a K(callsign) your 599, at the time I didnt know what all that ment but all I knew was I heard JAPAN!!! it was the first time I picked up something that far away, and for the next 8hrs I had a log filled with junk I had written down, if I could hear where they were from or what they were talking about. Hams talking from Mobiles, bases, and even a boat, and here I am a little ol' peasont with my shortwave enjoying the sound of distant voices was the beginning of my EXTREAM HOBBY.""

THIS YEAR im at home taking care of my family, and enjoying what I can of the contest even though I have RF around I am sure the prop is better than it was last year.

Just thoug Id share:)

Shortwavewave

And what in the world is this a person will anounce ther callsign and some numbers after it on 40 meters and 80 meters

like ....callsign.....7071(5 times) ...7061(1 time)...054(a time or two)..7140(a few more times) what in the world???
some will keep saying the same number over and over

but not everyone will do that

anyhelp?

Last edited:

rfsparkz

Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio

Hello,
Welcome to the great world of Amateur Radio.You can take your Amateur radio test online to prepare you for the real thing,that being amateur radio.Check out www.arrl.org for a lot more info or if your in Canada like myself check out www.rac.ca for all you want to know about this great hobby.Have a great weekend.You may hear me on the air from my location north of Toronto Ontario.Hey why not look up my antenna farm on www.qrz.com/ve3ell .

73 Russ VE3ELL

k9rzz

Got out at work at 0730 cst and drove over to the Lake Michigan shore. I experimented with parking on top of the 100 ft high bluff, or parking down right next to the beach. Still not sure which is best. Tuff working guys with all the contest QRM but in one hour I did work:

20 meter SSB - 100 watts from the mobile:

HD2A ECUADOR
KP2TM VIRGIN ISLANDS
WP2Z VIRGIN ISLANDS
VQ58V ? i'M GUESSING CANADA?
PJ2T Curacao
HQ2W HONDURAS
OG6A FINLAND

Need a few hours sleep, then I'll try some more.

Fun!

Shortwavewave said:
And what in the world is this a person will anounce ther callsign and some numbers after it on 40 meters and 80 meters

like ....callsign.....7071(5 times) ...7061(1 time)...054(a time or two)..7140(a few more times) what in the world???

anyhelp?

what you're hearing is a station announcing what frequency he's listening on, running what's called SPLIT operation ---transmitting on one freq and listening on another...often due to the band allocation differences between our IARU Region and other Regions like Europe...especially true on 40 and 80....

and because of this, US stations will transmit in the US phone band and listen DOWN in our cw portion for DX SSB stations...and DX stations will transmit SSB in our cw portions and listen UP in our SSB portions.....

so if you hear during a contest on 7175 "CQ Contest W4XXX 7071 7071..." he's listening on 7071.....and you may hear a DX station on 7050 calllng "CQ Contest EA8XXX listening 7190 7190...."

have a blast !!!

just finished working some nice openings on 15m this afternoon in the WPX contest...10m hasn't opened up here in NC yet today :-(

Barefootdipole

Last edited:

k8mcn

Shortwavewave said:

anyhelp?
And also, you were hearing the contest exchange that varies from contest to contest. The exchange is what you post in your log that you submit to the contest sponsor to try for awards. In this particular contest you were required to exchange with the other station, your call sign, the signal report (thats always 59 in contests), and the serial number, or sequentially rising number of the contact.for instance your first contact of the contest is 001, and that incrementally rises as you go.

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
So that's the contest that wrecked the airwaves this weekend.. I was mobile for a bit, tuned around and shut the rig off.

Contests... yeesh... Waste of good rag-chew time..

Just my opinion.

k9rzz

Yeah, lots of goofy calls to be looked up.

Rag chew? Isn't that what repeaters are for?

No law saying you can't switch modes.

roll.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.