CR Scanner - Looking for Thinclient-XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

cybergoon6

Cedar Rapids Police, Fire, and EMS

I am the feed provider for this feed. I will be moving from Marion to SW Cedar Rapids in about three weeks. I will have much more limited space at my new house. Right now, I am using an old gaming machine to host the feed. It is costing too much for electricity, and being a full tower, is taking up WAY too much space. I am looking for a Thin client with Windows XP on it to continue running the feed. If anyone has an old one laying around that they want to donate or sell cheap, please let me know. If I don't find anything soon, I may end up taking the feed down when I move.

IowaBrian

I am also looking for something like that I will have to check at work to see if they have any old dogs around they would part with. If you have to take it down let me know and I will help with keeping a CR feed alive. I have plenty of scanners and a bunch of desktops at home just have to find one with a little power supply. My big computers cause the electric meter to spin a little faster :) they were not built to save any power, they were made to use power and crank up the horse power. I put a logger on them and was surprised how many watts they use in a day. My UPS I think uses a ton of power just sitting there keeping itself powered up what a waste!

SCPD

QRT
If needed I can pick up the CR feed I have a Pro-96 scanner and visible shot to the SW tower site. I provided the feed before but the computer was brought down by a power supply failure.

cybergoon6

sgarringer

sgarringer - Go for it. I am just a few days from taking mine down. Was hoping someone else would pick it up before I had to take it down, as it's one of the more popular scan feeds in the US on this site. Let me know when you are up and running and I will bring mine down.

Thanks,
Marc

SCPD

QRT
I've applied to get the installer to get the stream up and running.

I've listened to the one your providing now and it seems to carry a lot of traffic.

I'm not sure what others think, but I was thinking of limiting it to CRPD Announce, F1/Dispatch, F2, F4, F5.

I can do whatever is wanted though. That's just the way *I* tend to listen myself.

cybergoon6

Do whatever you feel. I had Marion on it because I live in Marion. I had the EMS stuff, because when I hear about an accident, you tend to be able to hear much more about the accident when they are calling in the patient reports.

SCPD

QRT
I see what you're saying about Marion -- maybe I'll use a 2nd radio to get that and mix the audio together. Better than being stuck on one or the other.

Also I am pretty sure it is against the agreement of the site to stream the EMS stuff. When you sign up it specifically tells you that you must lock out ambulance to hospital talkgroups...

richtidd

Database Admin
Do whatever you feel. I had Marion on it because I live in Marion. I had the EMS stuff, because when I hear about an accident, you tend to be able to hear much more about the accident when they are calling in the patient reports.

I have the new feed request from sgarringer.

It yould be best if you submitted a "Request Assisatnce With Feed" to ask us to delete your feed now so I can approve the new feed. This avoids confusion in feeds.

K

kb0nly

That EMS rule needs to be amended a bit... Around here if you block out the EMS channels you take out all the Fire traffic and pages with it, all done on the same channel. Any patient data is done over cell or encrypted on that channel. So nobody actually hears it.

I will have to read it again and see how its worded, but i basically looked at that and said "ok they won't hear it anyway".

richtidd

Database Admin
That EMS rule needs to be amended a bit... Around here if you block out the EMS channels you take out all the Fire traffic and pages with it, all done on the same channel. Any patient data is done over cell or encrypted on that channel. So nobody actually hears it.

I will have to read it again and see how its worded, but i basically looked at that and said "ok they won't hear it anyway".

Here is the policy:
Feed Providers are not allowed to broadcast:

* SWAT "type" operations if on dedicated channels or talkgroups
* Narcotics / CID / Investigations or other tactical operations
* Dedicated channels or talkgroups for Ambulance to Hospital Communications
* Dedicated Federal Government or Military Communications (exceptions include any fire fighting operations, space shuttle communications, park ranger operations)
* Any commercial service broadcast (FM/AM/TV etc)
* Music or talk show of any kind (commercial or non-commercial)
* DJ or other type of similar activity (commercial or non-commercial)
* Open Microphones

RadioReference reserves the right to limit access to or disable broadcasts that the management feels not appropriate for the community.

Some examples to help you understand what can and cannot be put on your feed:

1) If an agency has a dedicated frequency or talkgroup for SWAT operations - it is not allowed to be on the feed. If the agency's SWAT team operates on the PD regular dispatch frequency, than it is OK.

2) If an agency has a dedicated frequency for ambulance to hospital communications, it is not allow to be on the feed. If the EMS agency passes patient reports over the regular EMS Dispatch channel, that's OK.

It is only dedicated channels that are not allowed.
Does this answer your question?

SCPD

QRT
The CRPD/CRFD feed is up and running.

Here are the talk groups included:

1616 CRPDAnnounce
1776 CRPDDispatch
1936 CRPD F 2
2256 CRPD F 4
2416 CRPD F 5
2576 CRPDAirport1
2736 CRPDAirport2
4816 CRPDDetAnn
4976 CRPD Det 1
5136 CRPD Det 2
8016 CRPD IA
14576 CRPD Disast1
34416 Area 11 AID
17760 CRFDAnnounce
17776 CRFD FIRE 1
17783 CRFD DISP
17808 Unidentified
17840 Unidentified
17936 CRFD FIRE 2
18096 CRFD FIRE 3
18256 CRFD FIRE 4
18416 CRFD FIRE 5
18576 CRFD Admin
34096 State Fire
34736 CRFD HAZMAT

I hope to get a power supply for my other radio and I can mix together the audio from Marion as well.

K

kb0nly

Here is the policy:
Feed Providers are not allowed to broadcast:

* SWAT "type" operations if on dedicated channels or talkgroups
* Narcotics / CID / Investigations or other tactical operations
* Dedicated channels or talkgroups for Ambulance to Hospital Communications
* Dedicated Federal Government or Military Communications (exceptions include any fire fighting operations, space shuttle communications, park ranger operations)
* Any commercial service broadcast (FM/AM/TV etc)
* Music or talk show of any kind (commercial or non-commercial)
* DJ or other type of similar activity (commercial or non-commercial)
* Open Microphones

RadioReference reserves the right to limit access to or disable broadcasts that the management feels not appropriate for the community.

Some examples to help you understand what can and cannot be put on your feed:

1) If an agency has a dedicated frequency or talkgroup for SWAT operations - it is not allowed to be on the feed. If the agency's SWAT team operates on the PD regular dispatch frequency, than it is OK.

2) If an agency has a dedicated frequency for ambulance to hospital communications, it is not allow to be on the feed. If the EMS agency passes patient reports over the regular EMS Dispatch channel, that's OK.

It is only dedicated channels that are not allowed.
Does this answer your question?

Yes, for me it sure does! Thanks for the clarification...

N0ZJT

Database Admin
The new CR feed sounds good. Nice and clean and easy to follow incidents as they happen.

My suggestion, if you get the other scanner running is to request a separate feed for Marion. Buy a cheap USB sound card from ebay.

I don't like feeds with too many agencies on them. When something large happens, you can't keep track of what is going on.

Just my opinion.

SCPD

QRT
I see there are 43 users on there listening right now, what are opinions on the quality? I notice a slight bit of hum in the background, which is odd, I'm using broadcast quality equipment. I'll look at that tonight.

SCPD

QRT
The new CR feed sounds good. Nice and clean and easy to follow incidents as they happen.

My suggestion, if you get the other scanner running is to request a separate feed for Marion. Buy a cheap USB sound card from ebay.

I don't like feeds with too many agencies on them. When something large happens, you can't keep track of what is going on.

Just my opinion.

Good call, I could do that. I have a handful of USB soundcards already.

Status
Not open for further replies.