CR units on STARS

Status
Not open for further replies.

John

Premium Subscriber
I noticed about a week ago units with CR numbers on the VSP talkgroups on STARS (i.e. CR103, CR167, etc). I haven't them given any dispatch traffic. Just marking on and off-duty. Anyone know what these units are? Conservation Resource maybe?

dtscho

Database Admin
Yes, I believe those are Conservation and Recreation units. Other Virginia listeners have noticed that they do a lot of on duty/off duty on their own talkgroups as well.

Dave

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
To add for division six/12 the CR units are input on their TG 2112 and dispatch is on Salem 2, 769.

Pro96.com is showing a patch in place all the time 2112 to 769

That finally answers the question I asked months ago as to why I could always only hear the mobile side of the traffic but never the dispatch side. They are being dispatched by someone else besides their agency on a different channel.

John

Premium Subscriber
Hmmm.... if they are patched then you should hear both conversations on both talkgroups shouldn't you?

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
I don't know enough about how STARS works to say. I know that I've heard CR units transmitting information on 2112 and Salem VSP dispatch answer them on Salem 2 769.

I've never heard any dispatch traffic on 2112 and that's been months worth.

I believe I've heard a couple of CR units on 769 very recently but mostly notice input on 2112 and dispatch on 769 for them. I may be wrong about the CR units on 769 too.

I have a 436 on STARS and my 600 on the analog frequency, which is still active btw, and it makes monitoring both sides even easier if the 436 doesn't move on fast enough.

I don't run Pro96com much anymore but still hook it up every couple of months for a day or two. That is how I noticed it showing an active patch 2112 to 769. It is up all the time.

I know its commonly done on analog systems where a dispatcher will receive multiple input channels with dispatch going out to whichever one or all of them. Just don't know enough about digital or STARS though to know what's what.

Maybe John, James or someone who is more technically knowledgeable and/or STARS knowledgeable will chime in definitively on this.

Sorry

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
After I posted that last comment of course I picked up CR units all weekend on the 769 TG itself. So I'm not sure what is going on. Simulcasting maybe? (on both tgs at once)

Patch is still active too.

Status
Not open for further replies.