Crackling Audio BCD396T ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

wrngnmbr6

I've seen this discussed on this board but not that much. I am monitoring New Hanover County here in Wilmington which is just a 800MHZ analog system and I'm not happy with the crackling audio that I am getting on my new BCD396T. I've read that people experienced this after firmware update. My firmware is the latest 1.11.03 as that is how i got it. None of my other 4 scanners sound like this. I guess my questions would be is this a confirmed firmware update symptom and if so what to do? Just be patient and wait for another update?

wrngnmbr6

I've tried analog AGC on and off and don't really notice any difference...Sorry should have posted that in my first post....Just has static and crackling...I mean its not real bad but bad to the point where its annoying...... .my BR330T sounds much better and clearer

Last edited:

wrngnmbr6

Sorry I guess I made it sound like I was a rookie(newbie)....lol I'm using an 800mhz antenna plus I said all my other scanners sound fine it's just the BCD396T sounds horrible, and they are all monitoring the same exact system....

bonus1331

I do notice a difference in the audio between my 396 and 330. Not really a bad vs. good, but a difference.
I actually prefer the tone of the 396 over the 330. Almost like the 330 has more treble.

steve_eg

wrngnmbr6,

What is the signal strength indicator on the 396 showing when the 800 system you're trying to monitor is active? How about the signal strength indicator on your other scanners for this same system?

Thanks-

Steve

Al42

Try the 396 a lot closer to one of the system's base stations. (Not too close - a few blocks is good.) If you still get static, you probably have a defective scanner. With a bar or two you should get, at most, a bit of white noise behind the signal. Crakling should reduce in proportion to the signal strength but for strong signals there shouldn't be any.

wrngnmbr6

Signal strength is very good where I am at and I really don't think I have a defective scanner well I hope I don't...Maybe I'm making it sound worse then it really is....its just noticable....The voices are quite clear but I hear, like you said some white noise and static in the background that I do not hear on 996T,330T,96,and the 2096...I'm going to try and revert back to an older firmware and see if there is any difference....

Status
Not open for further replies.