Craig County

Status
Not open for further replies.

K4NNW

Over the past few months, I've been monitoring the counties around me (Roanoke, Botetourt, Montgomery, Giles, etc.) and have yet to hear one peep out of any frequency I have for Craig County (which are currently listed in the database). Does anyone know if they've changed anything (again)? Granted, I realize that there are probably fewer things happening there, but I was expecting to hear SOMEthing, even it was just a station test.
Kenny

John

Premium Subscriber
Criag Co

It looks like Craig is installing a new UHF system for Police, Fire-Rescue and School buses. I don't have any info except what is listed below.

John

This news article from WDBJ7.COM

Craig County getting technology upgrade to fix communication dead zones

Craig County is going to new heights to keep its deputies and emergency responders connected out in the field.

It's adding a tower to a remote spot on Sinking Creek mountain.

The views are breath taking but, the beautiful landscape translates into a communications dead zones for much of the county.

Administrator Richard Flora says the county's technology including the emergency radio system is from the 1940's and '50's.

"This probably gives us close to 100-percent coverage throughout the county for all emergency services."

Thanks to a grant from the federal government, radios for all emergency responders and the county school buses will be upgraded.

Computers for an updated 911 system will be brought online.

The new equipment meant a new tower and it had to be taken up 3,700 feet up steep terrain.

When it's all said and done, the tower will stand 60 feet tall.

This will only help the emergency communication, not cell phones

John

Premium Subscriber
Craig Co

If someone is close enough to listen you might want to try these frequencies. They were licensed last year under the Business rules for School buses but it also shows 100 mobiles. I doubt Craig has 100 school buses nor needs 8 channels for them.

John

CRAIG, COUNTY OF WQKQ203 463.21250000 PAINT BANK CRAIG, COUNTY OF WQKQ203 468.21250000 PAINT BANK

CRAIG, COUNTY OF WQHG869 463.26250000 PAINT BANK CRAIG, COUNTY OF WQHG869 468.26250000 PAINT BANK

CRAIG, COUNTY OF WQHG869 463.28750000 PAINT BANK CRAIG, COUNTY OF WQHG869 468.28750000 PAINT BANK

CRAIG, COUNTY OF WQHG869 463.31250000 PAINT BANK CRAIG, COUNTY OF WQHG869 468.31250000 PAINT BANK

CRAIG, COUNTY OF WQHG869 463.33750000 PAINT BANK CRAIG, COUNTY OF WQHG869 468.33750000 PAINT BANK

CRAIG, COUNTY OF WQKQ203 463.41250000 PAINT BANK CRAIG, COUNTY OF WQKQ203 468.41250000 PAINT BANK

CRAIG, COUNTY OF WQKP962 463.68750000 NEW CASTLE CRAIG, COUNTY OF WQKP962 468.68750000 NEW CASTLE

CRAIG, COUNTY OF WQKP962 463.71250000 NEW CASTLE CRAIG, COUNTY OF WQKP962 468.71250000 NEW CASTLE

K4NNW

John, I just programmed those into both my scanners last weekend, and so far I haven't heard a thing. Then again, I haven't been over to Craig County for a while. I seriously doubt that their coverage will improve that much over low-band. However, I'll be stationed at Paint Bank for this year's Mountains of Misery bike race, so that'll give me a day to monitor and see what's up there. If I hear anything, I'll keep y'all posted.

appalachianscanner

Premium Subscriber
I came through Bland County (2 counties over) last Wednesday, nothing in my seach N store matching those :(

W4UVV

Keep in Mind

I came through Bland County (2 counties over) last Wednesday, nothing in my seach N store matching those :(

Keep in mind just because an entity is licensed does not mean a radio system is operational at the time of licensing. The FCC typically grants a licensee a construction permit a year for construction to BEGIN on the radio system. "Construction" could be everything from installing a tower to mounting a ground plane antenna on the side of a building or even less. Some licensees go for years without being operational for various reasons. At the end of the year if construction has not begun the FCC might cancel the license but that option is unlikely. In most situations the licensee requests the FCC to grant an extension of the construction permit period to BEGIN. Again that does not mean the radio system has to be operational but only that construction whatever that entails has begun When construction has begun that triggers another FCC suspense date to inquire as to completion status of the radio system. Again the licensee can request an extension. Eventually the licensee either becomes an operational user or the license eventually is canceled.

In my frequency/user database are at least 10 relatively new area licensees that are not operational. One example is the new Bio tech plant in Hopewell. They have a good reason as the facility presently is under major construction.

John

Premium Subscriber
Yes, if you look at the previous licenses that Craig had for UHF you will see lots of extensions for construction, etc but then the licenses were finally expired. These "new" licenses listed above are several months old. Now the local governement is doing press releases saying they will be operational this week. Several local sources are also saying they have already begin using UHF just without the repeater. So we understand about the process. We are just trying to see if the activity that is supposed to be on-going now can help us confirm the new frequencies.

Status
Not open for further replies.