Cranston PD channel question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

floridafuzz

Does Cranston PD have any new channels? Is there a channel 7? I am only aware of the 4 channels that are listed in the RR database.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
Does Cranston PD have any new channels? Is there a channel 7? I am only aware of the 4 channels that are listed in the RR database.
As far as I know Cranston PD has 4 channels. I live in Cranston and hear them mostly on ch. 1 and 2 generally. Although it is possible they have capabilities to use other freqs. I noticed on the patrol cars they have a "quad" antenna setup. 4 quarter wave verticals set up in a square configuration. From close observation they appear to be cut for UHF which is the band the PD uses. I also did not see any other antennas on the vehicles. So my guess is they pretty much stay on their 4 channels.

wa1lad

4 antennas in a square configuration is for the LoJack vehicle recovery system. It has absolutely nothing to do with Cranston PD's UHF system since LoJack operates in the VHF spectrum.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
4 antennas in a square configuration is for the LoJack vehicle recovery system. It has absolutely nothing to do with Cranston PD's UHF system since LoJack operates in the VHF spectrum.
Ok I wondered what these antennas were for. Maybe the Cranston PD uses those low profile antennas but I will look next time a patrol car is around.

Allan327

I’ve seen some usage of encryption on F3. Maybe that’s what they’re referring to. So far I’ve only noticed it once or twice.

floridafuzz

I’ve seen some usage of encryption on F3. Maybe that’s what they’re referring to. So far I’ve only noticed it once or twice.
Interesting- I have been listening to CPD for a long,long,time and was not aware of any use of encryption on any of their channels. F1,F2,F3 have always been in the clear to my knowledge. In order to hear F4 you need to be in close proximity to the units talking car to car.
In the old days when they were on 155.525 VHF and they wanted to talk to HQ privately, they would shut off the repeater.
At one point in time CPD was assigned talk group 1504 on RISCON according to old info from RadioReference. I don't think they ever used it and now it is assigned to CFD.

wa1lad

TG1504 is NOT assigned to Cranston FD, it is assigned to CPD as it always has been. I also have no record of CPD using any encryption nor have I ever heard encrypted comms on their UHF system. CPD's RISCON TG's are a different story........

floridafuzz

TG1504 is NOT assigned to Cranston FD, it is assigned to CPD as it always has been. I also have no record of CPD using any encryption nor have I ever heard encrypted comms on their UHF system. CPD's RISCON TG's are a different story........
I have TG1504 assigned to CPD in my RadioShack Scanners. I think they are 800mhz portables.
This is from RadioReference this morning:

1504 5e0 DCranston FD AdmiFire - Admin/Alt Fireground 5 Fire-Talk
Could somebody in the know clarify and correct in RadioReference if this is incorrect.
Have you ever heard any comms on TG1504? Anybody feel free to chime in.

ecps92

Contributions/Corrections to the RRDB come from the members.
Make a DB submission for the correction, if you have actually [OTA - Over the Air] verified this
I have TG1504 assigned to CPD in my RadioShack Scanners. I think they are 800mhz portables.
This is from RadioReference this morning:

15045e0DCranston FD AdmiFire - Admin/Alt Fireground 5Fire-Talk
Could somebody in the know clarify and correct in RadioReference if this is incorrect.
Have you ever heard any comms on TG1504? Anybody feel free to chime in.

W1KNE

Owner ScanNewEngland
Database Admin
RadioReference is 110% wrong. TG 1504 is Cranston PD Dispatch.....and always has been.
110%'s a little harsh. One TG out of 200 would be about .5% wrong? :ROFLMAO:
If the TG is wrong, it needs to be submitted as a ticket to be fixed. ;)

Thanks.

Allan327

Just my observations YMMV

I listen to Cranston all the time and I’ve never heard the pd on riscon. As I’m typing this a call just went out for a rollover on rte 10 and the FD is active on 800 and the PD is on UHF. I just checked and TG 1504 is in the list. I don’t recall ever hearing any traffic on it though. Just the dispatch and the fireground channels. 1507 seems to be used by the fire alarm techs

As for ENC I’ve only noticed it once. It was the wee hours of the morning 2-3 am. I just happened to look at the display on my sds100 while scanning Cranston and saw ENC on the screen. I held on each of the channels long enough to find out it was F3.

floridafuzz

RadioReference is 110% wrong. TG 1504 is Cranston PD Dispatch.....and always has been.
Would you be able to shed a little more light on the situation please. Have you ever heard any comms on TG1504 by CPD? Have you ever heard any comms on TG1504 by the CFD? Are you or were you involved in setting up the RISCON system?
A long time ago, can't remember when, just on one occasion, I believe I heard comms by someone on TG1504, don't know if it was CPD. This was before CFD went on the RISCON system. I have never heard CPD dispatch simulcast on TG1504 while on any of the CPD frequencies.
I'm going to do a little more checking on my end to see if I can shed any light on the situation.

wa1lad

Yup, sure have. Heard TG1504 used multiple times by CPD. CPD does not simulcast their UHF on RISCON. They stay on their UHF for most of their in-city operations. And, quite frankly, simulcasting a convetional system on RISCON is a giant waste of RISCON resources, unless it's done during an incident or event for coordination of mutual aid resources for said incident or event.

wa1lad

110%'s a little harsh. One TG out of 200 would be about .5% wrong? :ROFLMAO:
If the TG is wrong, it needs to be submitted as a ticket to be fixed. ;)

Thanks.
:unsure: Eh, not too harsh......lol

I find SNE Wiki to be the most accurate for info about my listening area. The TG1504 info on SNE Wiki is correct. Since SNE Wiki is the resource I use most, I submit info/corrections there. So, anyone can take the info for TG1504 that I have confirmed in multiple ways and update radioreference if they so desire. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.