Crappy audio

Status
Not open for further replies.

918Dave

I recently updated the firmware & database on the SDS 100 & 200 scanners. Immediately noticed sound quality on both units doesn't sound as well. Is there a known issue or am I overlooking a tweak in the settings?

918Dave

Be more specific. Crappy how?

Crappy, as in not sounding as crystal clear prior to the upgrade. I hadn't messed with the sentinel software for well over a year and was quite happy with the units performance with the Regional Wireless Cooperation system I monitor here in AZ. Yesterday I decided to upgrade my 100 & 200. It's like a speaker buzz or overmodulated signal, or, note quite on a signal? I can understand what is being said, but it doesn't sound as good prior to the upgrade on both units. Sound quality used to be excellent. You could crank the volume to 8-10 and crystal clear on both units.

So now I'm wondering is there any way that I can revert back to the firmware version I had prior to the upgrade?

crippledchicken

Premium Subscriber
I like to run my sds200 with everything set to +1 on the offset setting I set it that way when making up a favorites list in Sentinel or Proscan software programs.

918Dave

I performed the restore option. Cleared everything and started from scratch. Sentinel recognized that I had the latest firmware. Maybe a corrupted file? Anyway, both of my temporary paper weights are sounding as great as before. Night and day difference. It sounded like each had a damaged speaker.

Where in the settings do I find the ability to address the offset you mentioned?

crippledchicken

Premium Subscriber
I just go to favorites list edit then to channels and it's in there on the right hand side. I do this in Sentinel software then write to my SD card.

Last edited:

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I just go to favorites list edit then to channels and it's in there on the right hand side. I do this in Sentinel software then write to my SD card.
That's totally pointless. It's no different than turning your volume up 1 click, except now you don't have an actual volume 0 setting, and the top 2 volume settings are always the same. You can't increase maximum volume by setting an offset.

The only correct use is to boost or cut the volume on specific channels that are always louder or quieter than the others.

crippledchicken

Premium Subscriber
To my ears, this method seems to reduce the bass in the audio and gives the sound a less muffled quality seems to boost the mid frequencies which , gives better clarity than just increasing the volume control as I stated (to my ears) and I'm sure you will agree, we all hear differently it was just merely a suggestion. :) And, I do understand the purpose of the offset feature as in over 40 years of scanners, I've never seen a single one of them that had the exact level or sound on every frequency/channel.

Last edited:

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Volume offset has no effect on EQ. It only affects volume.

Status
Not open for further replies.