Craven County VIPER and Pro-652

Status
Not open for further replies.

trippb

A customer brought a RS Pro-652 info my computer shop for programming. He likes me as a computer guy so he assumed I would be a good radio guy too. Well, I think I'm failing him.

I've successfully put in New Bern's P25 system and several conventional frequencies. I'm failing on NC's VIPER system. I am not hearing anything.

Here is what I've got:
Type - P25 Auto
Freq 1 - 853.5625
Freq 2 - 852.8125
Talkgroup ID - Wildcard

I wanted to see what talkgroups I was picking up before putting them in individually. I put in SHP (52141 - Trp A, Dist 6) and Craven Fire and Sheriff (13004 and 13007) but wanted to see what else I might get. So far, I haven't picked up anything.

So, what am I doing wrong? Or, is there just not much to receive?

Also, for SHP and Craven Fire and Sheriff, are they simulcasting the same things on VHF and VIPER? I haven't put in any SHP VHF to see what I get there.

troymail

Silent Key
Looks like it's programmed correctly. From what I recall in past posts and discussions, I would have thought you were having problems with the Nee Bern system. Is that one working (you are hearing activity?).

As for VIPER, it could be just a slow period. VIPER is mostly State Police (but some counties like Brunswick use it full time) but you may hear other things from time to time. There may be activity around the area but it will typically only be heard on a given tower is there is a user radio activity affiliated with that tower.

You may want to look at the towers:
Site Map: VIPER Statewide Trunking System, Varies, North Carolina

and see if there is another that is close and see if you hear more activity.

A customer brought a RS Pro-652 info my computer shop for programming. He likes me as a computer guy so he assumed I would be a good radio guy too. Well, I think I'm failing him.

I've successfully put in New Bern's P25 system and several conventional frequencies. I'm failing on NC's VIPER system. I am not hearing anything.

Here is what I've got:
Type - P25 Auto
Freq 1 - 853.5625
Freq 2 - 852.8125
Talkgroup ID - Wildcard

I wanted to see what talkgroups I was picking up before putting them in individually. I put in SHP (52141 - Trp A, Dist 6) and Craven Fire and Sheriff (13004 and 13007) but wanted to see what else I might get. So far, I haven't picked up anything.

So, what am I doing wrong? Or, is there just not much to receive?

Also, for SHP and Craven Fire and Sheriff, are they simulcasting the same things on VHF and VIPER? I haven't put in any SHP VHF to see what I get there.

trippb

Looks like it's programmed correctly. From what I recall in past posts and discussions, I would have thought you were having problems with the Nee Bern system. Is that one working (you are hearing activity?).

I'm not having any problems with New Bern. I'm picking up police and EMS dispatch as well as public works traffic.

I'll take a look at the towers.

troymail

Silent Key
It's also possible that the frequency data is out of date. You should probably also enter all of the site frequencies in the enter they are using something different for the control channel. Beyond that, hopefully someone local will chime in

GamecockSJ

Craven County Sheriff does not use VIPER directly but simulcasts their analog VHF channel on VIPER. You should be able to hear them at least. Otherwise the only regular activity is probably SHP troop A.

edit: I take that back, I have also heard CarolinaEast Medical Center. You'll be able to hear inbound hospital reports as well as Vidant EastCare helicopters. I think one of them is based in New Bern.

You'll want to program in Vidant Air, Vidant Ground, and Landing Zone East too.

trippb

Another thing (not sure why I forgot this) - I assume you are seeing the blinking "T" for the New Bern system - are you seeing that same "T" for the VIPER programming?

I see the "T" for the New Bern system when scanning but not the VIPER system.

trippb

Something else I just noticed is the signal strength is very low (non-existent) when scanning the Craven County tower. I just added the Pamlico County tower and get the same results.

One more thing I noticed is when the New Bern P25 system is in the scan mix with VIPER and some conventional freqs, it will dwell on the NB system for a second or two and blow by the VIPER system so quick I can't even read it.

jdifabio

Premium Subscriber
Craven Viper

Hello, I work in New Bern daily. In the past I have had to put all the New Bern Viper tower frequencies not just the control channels. I know your not supposed to have to but it's what worked. You should hear lots of activity on those tg's and wildcard. Good Luck Joe

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
Yeah I noticed when I was out that way a few months ago the control channel wasn't right from what the database said. You could try manaully searching the band and see if you can find a strong close control channel that way.

drayd48

WQSH525 (NORTH CAROLINA STATE HIGHWAY PATROL) FCC Callsign Details

Try putting all the frequencies from site 1 in for the VIPER and see what happens. It takes a little but for the radio shack scanners to scan 2 system. Try just scanning the VIPER system and see what happens. I usually have to let my scanner sit on a system by itself for just a couple minutes so that it can "tune" itself and get comfortable with the system.

KC4YIN

Premium Subscriber
Hmmm! Am running Pro96com on Viper right now and it is showing the New Bern control channel as 853.8125 not 852.8125 as listed in the RR database.

Try loading 853.8125 as one of the control channels. Looks like there's a typo in the database.

cjross2008

Premium Subscriber
I'm picking up VIPER and the City of New Bern fine. If you still need any help shoot me a pm and ill give you a hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.