Status
Not open for further replies.

JackTV

Has anyone actually thought about using a large Balloon for getting height
for a antenna? Could it be done?

Let's hear it!!!!

Jack

gcgrotz

I saw an article once where someone used one for field day to get on 160meters. You would need a ground system, or you could use as end fed half wave with matching.

You could also make up a twinlead J-pole for VHF/UHF but you'd have to haul up the coax and worry about losses >100ft.

If you decide to experiment, WATCH OUT FOR ELECTRICAL WIRES!! Stay way way away from them.

Good luck and report back if you do it!

rcvmo

Many Many moons ago, when was just smaller than knee high.............
My father asked me if I wanted to go fly a kite. Why of course !
I remember him tying a thin metal wire alongside the kite string and connected it to his ham radio. I kept asking how high do you want me to go, his response was as high as you want. We were there in an open field for at least 2 hours. I remember my father having a grin cheek to cheek and a long list of contacts he made while I was flying the kite.

I see this every year at Dayton where someone has attached a long wire to a balloon and making contacts all over from the hamfest.
The Dayton Hamfest, May 2002 , we'd seen a few balloons with wireless cameras watching over the crowd. Now that was wild viewing it from inside the arena.
Rcvmo

Status
Not open for further replies.