Crazy Ebay price

Status
Not open for further replies.

hill

Premium Subscriber
Linked below is Icom ID-880 for sale on Ebay. It's going for over $2000 and it is way overpriced. I see it has 19 watchers and will have to see if some sucker buys it.

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
EBay is the sucker born every minute grab and buy before they do. I still laugh at older radios going for more or same as a new apx4000, 900, 6000 direct from dealer.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Guaranteed it's either a typo or someone trying to artificially inflate the price. Hey, if someone wants, I'll sell them my 2820H for $1000 and ship it overnight via FedEX for free...it's a much better radio than an 880...

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I sold an old Yaesu VX-170 a few years back.
I think I bought it new for $120 or so.

On e-bay it sold for somewhere around $170. Couldn't believe it. Shipped it off and about 2 weeks later the buyer complained because it wouldn't transmit on his fire department frequency.

There's a sucker/stupid person born every minute.

hill

Premium Subscriber
Shipping is even high and over priced at somewhere around $25. The other that is a normal price has only $9 in shipping.

royldean

This could be a situation in which the seller doesnt have the goods on hand currently (maybe it's unavailable due to covid restrictions, etc), and thus they simply change the price rather than take down the ad so as to not have to relist it at a later time. My understanding of the modern eBay is that it is much easier to change the cost of a product on an existing listing than create a new one. This is usually the case when you see new items that are listed at 10x the average cost.... the seller is "out of stock" on the item and while they replenish their stock, they jack up the price to avoid having to delist then relist the product. If some moron happens to "buy it now", well then the seller just buys one from another seller and rush ships..... laughing all the way to the bank.

• Haha
Reactions: NC1

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
This could be a situation in which the seller doesnt have the goods on hand currently (maybe it's unavailable due to covid restrictions, etc), and thus they simply change the price rather than take down the ad so as to not have to relist it at a later time. My understanding of the modern eBay is that it is much easier to change the cost of a product on an existing listing than create a new one. This is usually the case when you see new items that are listed at 10x the average cost.... the seller is "out of stock" on the item and while they replenish their stock, they jack up the price to avoid having to delist then relist the product. If some moron happens to "buy it now", well then the seller just buys one from another seller and rush ships..... laughing all the way to the bank.
Not true. Ebay today allows free automatic relistings of unsold items without additional charges. Most accounts (especially those with "Power Seller" status) are given automatic credits on enhancements too.

Has anyone contacted the seller and inquired why this particular radio is so inflated? This seller has a Collins HF-380 for just a couple grand more...

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
Not true. Ebay today allows free automatic relistings of unsold items without additional charges.

He isn't talking about unsold items. What he is saying is that if the lister is out of stock on the item, thus doesn't want people to actually purchase the item, it is easier to change the price and keep the same listing when it becomes in-stock, vs. creating a brand new listing.

Hit_Factor

He isn't talking about unsold items. What he is saying is that if the lister is out of stock on the item, thus doesn't want people to actually purchase the item, it is easier to change the price and keep the same listing when it becomes in-stock, vs. creating a brand new listing.
You can set the quantity of product to zero to stop sales. Raising the price makes no sense for out of stock.

Maybe there is something else driving a high asking price? How about the off chance that someone buys it, then the seller buys and dropships from some other seller.

namhcor

FleaBay is getting worse and worse. The asking prices on amateur radio gear are getting ridiculous and shipping costs are going through the roof because sellers are getting even more greedy. If I want to purchase high end gear, I’ll just buy it new through a reputable dealer.

needairtime

Actually no, shipping prices are going up and sellers are just passing it on... The perception is because since Amazon is free with Prime, everything should be free...

Amazon is probably saving lots of money on shipping in the densely populated areas and losing money on the sparsely populated boonies by passing it off to USPS to lose money on...

Status
Not open for further replies.