Crazy erratic display Pro 106

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oldglide

OK. Radio works perfect, great reception etc. The display is out of control. Sometimes it works, sometimes it's blank. Sometimes the display is upside down, mirror image, mirror image upside down, weird characters and more. The only thing that works all the time is "hold down PGM button and power up" CPU upgrade window is always there. When I first got it it worked like I described, then it worked perfect for about 5 days and then it crazy again. Was able to load new firmware, CPU v1.8 and DSP v1.4. After that it worked great for about a week and then it started doing it's thing, again. All manner of resets, power on resets don't do anything. I believe there should be some sort of power on, power off in some sort of sequence, maybe using some keys to power reset the CPU. That's what's going on. Ready for the sledge hammer.

kilowa22

It sounds like the connector to the LCD display and/or cable are loose or bad. If it is under warranty take it back for an exchange. If the LCD sometimes slowly fades away or becomes erratic when in motion that is most likely the problem.

Oldglide

Not the LCD or connector

Thanks for your input but it is on it's third LCD. As I mentioned if I hold down the PGM button on power on I get the CPU upgrade screen perfectly, every time. I believe it is only one of 2 problems, either the CPU internal clock or memory is corrupted or else the CPU needs a hard power reset, if there is such a thing. Thanks again.

djeplett

The PSR500 just had a firmware update that corrected a "mirror image" issue with the display. Maybe when the update for the 106 comes out it will solve your issue?

FWIW I did notice one day my PSR500 had a mirror image. I turned it off and then back on again and it was normal. Since I've flashed the new firmware it has never done it since.

Oldglide

Nope, that's not it.

Firmware updates out, already installed, worked for about a week then went nuts. Thanks for your reply

jamesa53

Yes it's broke. Selling it.

If I were you I would send it in for repair to RS. If its less than a year old it should be covered by warranty. Even if they charge you to repair it, its still a 400 dollar scanner and I doubt if they would charge you more than $50 to fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.