CRB Books

Status
Not open for further replies.

kf4lhp

Anyone know whatever happened to CRB Books? Just curious, they seem to have dropped out of sight.

Also, does anyone have one of their SSB Network or Registered Monitor certificates? Looking for a nice (100-150 dpi) scan of each.

Larry51

Premium Subscriber
Is the CRB you are referring to the old Communications Research Bureau that used to publish frequency sheets (very accurate, by the way) back in the 1960's? They were located on Long Island and went on to publishing frequency books and other scanner-related publications. I haven't seen or heard about them in years.

JESSERABBIT

Yep, I used to have the SHEET for the Wash. D.C. area when I lived there many years ago. Very accurate and up-to-date info, One sheet had vhf-low and high band and covered everything. How times have changed!

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
Ah yes. CRB...I still have my Scanner Modification Handbooks Vol. 1 & 2 right next to Bob Grove's Shortwave Directory from 1991 and yes - I'll admit - Tomkat's Big CB Handbook from 1992.

And being the true dork back then (no comments from the peanut gallery) my SSB # 21KCIL030 and Monitoring #KIL9PT. I might have the Monitoring Cert stuck away with some old papers somewhere...

kny2xb

I would love to know if they're still around myself. I never wrote for a Florida monitor number when I moved in 1992 :(
I'm relocating to Tennessee in 2007 and would like a TN monitor number.

Monitor # = KNY2XB
Sidebanders Service Bureau # = SSB-976
AM Unit # = Unit 201-Kilo

I used to read the old CB Magazine. I asked Tom Kneitel / Tomcat about the KW SSB ID numbers. He replied that they were used in and around NYC. He was able to get KW-7276 assigned to me to match my SSB-976 ID

Greg
Clearwater, FL
PRO-2004
PRO-43
PRO-2050
PRO-91
PRO-97
DX400 (AM / FM / SWL)

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
Many years ago, I heard that Tom Knitel, the former editor of "Popular Communications", is or was the owner of CRB Research.

Larry51

Premium Subscriber
You guys are bringing back memories, now. Popular Communications Magazine. I used to love reading that. And Tom Kneitel, I wonder if he's still around.

Larry51

Premium Subscriber
DaveIN said:

Dave - Thanks for the link. I had no idea "Pop Com" was still out there. I browsed through the website and found Tom Kneitel's name listed as "Senior Editor". I'm glad to hear he's still around. I'm going to add a subscription to my Christmas "wish-list."

Thanks again for the follow up.

Larry

D

DaveNF2G

I used to read S9 Magazine, which had some decent scanner coverage.

My CRB number was KNY2DJ. I lost the certificate years ago and could never get a response from them about getting a replacement.

kf4lhp

My old CRB ID was KTN4GA. Had one of the SSB Network IDs, too, SSB-619D.

I'd forgotten all about them until something stoked my memory, and I went and found some old usenet posts from the late 90s with those in my sig. Of course, the paper is long gone, and hence why I was wanting to get a nice high-resolution scan of each, so I could recreate them for me. Apparently CRB Books is no more.

Tom-H

KE4ZNR said:
Hate to say it but PopComm is pretty much useless these days unless you are only interested in CBing...Monitoring Times has the Best All Spectrum coverage (including Scanning & Ham Radio) around...

PopComm is still a heck of a lot better of a scanner mag than Scanning USA, but I agree, MT is currently the best of the three.

cellblock776

kf4lhp said:
Also, does anyone have one of their SSB Network or Registered Monitor certificates? Looking for a nice (100-150 dpi) scan of each.
I have my certificate. I was Monitor Station KLA5DF. I scanned a copy of my certificate. This copy is downsized. The original image was too big to post.

Attachments

• crbcert2.JPG
    crbcert2.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 1,110
Last edited:

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
KE4ZNR said:
Hate to say it but PopComm is pretty much useless these days unless you are only interested in CBing...Monitoring Times has the Best All Spectrum coverage (including Scanning & Ham Radio) around...

I don't know about that. UPMan wrote an article about Man Machine Interface in the new Uniden Dynamic Memory scanners for Pop Comm. WB6NOA, Gordon West (Gordo) is a regular writer for them. They covered Hurricane monitoring this summer, Railroad radio, DXing The Failed States...

Archie

CRB Frequency Sheets

Would love to see one of those old frequency sheets if somebody can please post one.

Many Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.