created a Favorite but it still sdcans outside the area

Status
Not open for further replies.

K40Kid

I just received my BCD436HOP last week, and I am now a bit stressed out. I have charged the internal battery, set date and time, updated the firmware and created a favorites list in my county, but I still receive outside of the county transmission. My reception is not the greatest but I did order an antenna from radio Shack but in the meantime trying to learn from the owners manual is fruitless. I have watched many You-Tube vids and can't figure out why I get transmission outside of the county. I set up my 1 favorite to "1" and press 1 and then the "yes" key and get quick key on or off on the screen. What am I missing?

kma371

QRT
I just received my BCD436HOP last week, and I am now a bit stressed out. I have charged the internal battery, set date and time, updated the firmware and created a favorites list in my county, but I still receive outside of the county transmission. My reception is not the greatest but I did order an antenna from radio Shack but in the meantime trying to learn from the owners manual is fruitless. I have watched many You-Tube vids and can't figure out why I get transmission outside of the county. I set up my 1 favorite to "1" and press 1 and then the "yes" key and get quick key on or off on the screen. What am I missing?

have you turned the full database off?

phask

Premium Subscriber
THere are a lot of unknows here and a lot you need to understand and check

First - my guess is you have the statewide MI system loaded.

1 - you should only have the talk groups you want in the list.

2 - Only have the site(s) you need on.

If you are usng location - makes sure it's correct and range is low or zero. IMHO if just at home, no need for location.

If systems are not the statewide system - there are some other issues.

If not that system - we just plin need much more info.

System - (link to the DB here please)

What you want and what you are getting as well.

K40Kid

THere are a lot of unknows here and a lot you need to understand and check

First - my guess is you have the statewide MI system loaded.

I fix it by turning off the full database. But I may have to turn it back on because my thought is to have 3 favorites set up, one for each of the county's I spend time in. After I set up my 3 favorites I will need to turn off the full database again...
Thank you guys for the help. Reception is poor, but considering the unit is bran new I was hoping it did not need to go in for repair. I guess I will find out.

First impression is I would really like to do this programming thru the Sentinel software but still haven't been able to get the computer to recognize the scanner. It has not ask for driver install so I am stumped.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
There is a pretty steep learning curve. It seems that as scanners progress, that learning curve is steeper. This is something that requires patience and practice to overcome. Most everyone has gone through this in the beginning.

When you connect your scanner to a computer using the supplied cable, you should see a message on the scanner screeni:

USB Cable Detected
Select USB Mode
Mass Storage = "E"
Serial Port = "."

Press the E Yes button. That puts the scanner in Mass Storage mode and the scanner acts like a removable drive on your computer. (You only have a few seconds to do that, otherwise the scanner goes into battery charging mode). The scanner should then say "USB Mass Storage" and cease to function as a scanner (because it is in "programming" mode).

From there, without Sentinel running, use your computer's Windows Explorer. You should see the scanner show up as another drive, mine says "USB Drive H".

Once you get that, then you can start Sentinel and do what you wish (update firmware, Master database, read/write Favorites Lists, etc.)

With this scanner acting as a USB removable drive, unlike all other Uniden scanners previous to the x36/Home Patrol line, there are no drivers to install to achieve scanner/somputer connection.

One thing that puzzles me is that you said you've updated the firmware. The only way I know of doing that is with the scanner connected to the computer. But you say you can't do that . . .

K40Kid

What I did was remove the SD card from the scanner, download the firmware update file, unzip the file on the computer and loaded the SD card into a card reader. I transferred the files from the computer to the SD card, and after I inserted the card back into the scanner I was able to update the scanners firmware without connecting it to the computer.
I did verify the update on the scanner itself.

Last edited:

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
That's an alternative way of programming your scanner. I've found that putting the SD card in a computer's card reader transfers files much faster than connecting the scanner via cable. Unfortunately the time you save is lost because getting the SD card out of the scanner.

You can also update your Favorites Lists and other settings via card reader, if you are unable to get the scanner to connect directly to the computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.