• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Creating a portable repeater with a mobile transceiver

Status
Not open for further replies.

WA3MED

Hello all!

I have returned to seek expertise on a project I am creating.

Task: Create a simplex repeater for search and rescue operations using a mobile radio.

I am trying to find a way to boost coverage of team communications in a remote area. I currently have a 25w AnyTone AT-778UV which I would like to use as the base station.
I am thinking about purchasing a LATNEX RC-S120 Simplex Repeater Controller to connect to the mobile radio; however, the input/output on the repeater controller is 3.5mm AUX and the input/output on the mobile radio is the well known RJ45 connected speaker mic.

If I purchase a RJ45 to headset adapter show in the picture below (and the necessary coupler/male-male adapter), will I be able to make the correct connections to create this repeater?
1619370657382.png

If anyone has created this project before and has a parts list, that would be even better.

prcguy

If the RJ45 headset adapter is made for your specific radio then you have a chance of it working. Otherwise there is no standard for RJ45 mic wiring and it would be a miracle if it happened to work.

I have a few simplex repeater controllers here and in my opinion they are one of the most annoying things to use that I can think of. Everyone using it has to adopt a new way of thinking like very short transmissions and always wait for the repeated message. That lasts a few minutes then most people who can hear the direct broadcast respond immediately and collide with the repeater message and it becomes a mess.

A much simpler approach is a dual band radio with cross band repeat function. You use it just like a regular repeater and when everyone is set up with the correct frequency pair and tone it works great.

Hello all!

Task: Create a simplex repeater for search and rescue operations using a mobile radio.

I am trying to find a way to boost coverage of team communications in a remote area. I currently have a 25w AnyTone AT-778UV which I would like to use as the base station.
I am thinking about purchasing a LATNEX RC-S120 Simplex Repeater Controller to connect to the mobile radio; however, the input/output on the repeater controller is 3.5mm AUX and the input/output on the mobile radio is the well known RJ45 connected speaker mic.

If I purchase a RJ45 to headset adapter show in the picture below (and the necessary coupler/male-male adapter), will I be able to make the correct connections to create this repeater?
View attachment 102751

If anyone has created this project before and has a parts list, that would be even better.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Hello all!

View attachment 102751

Buy a simple controller, a pair of 25w mobiles, a mobile duplexer and build a full duplex repeater. Get your antenna up minimum 2 full wave lengths(on VHF) or better. It's going to be mostly portables using the repeater, so keep your power down. Less than 10w into the duplexer. Add low noise, 3dB gain preamp to overcome feedline and duplexer loss. Keep the antenna gain low, no more than 5-6dBd gain. Ideal would be a unity gain exposed dipole, for large vertical beam width. Use PL/DPL for access control. Ensure all your connectors are high quality, avoid adaptors at all cost. Ensure jumpers are RG-142/400. Do not have excess feedline. Use minimum length as possible.

Excess power is not going to be your friend. Strategic repeater placement is going to be key to effective use of a portable repeater.

A simplex repeater has got to be one of the most annoying things ever created.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Simplex repeaters might be fine for amateur/hobby use, but have no business in any sort of life safety communications. If this is for a search and rescue group on Part 90 frequencies, take the time to do it correctly.

I agree, get two good low power mobiles and a separate controller. Simplex repeaters get very tiresome after a short while. It delays communications and that may be dangerous.

I've got a remote site at work that I inherited that has a couple of the low cost Bridgecom repeaters on high ridges running about 10 watts off solar panels and batteries. A single folded dipole antenna covers the deep canyons below very well.

It's a bit more of a challenge to build, but the people using the radios will greatly appreciate it.

WB9YBM

A "mobile extender" typically used in police squad cars--if find-able on the used market--might make a good starting point. Alternatively if you have two mobiles (preferably on different bands to avoid conflicts) with the squelch of one radio used to key the second radio (and vice-versa) can be used (I've done it myself with good results, once from 220MHz to two meters and also 220MHz to 10M FM).

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
I have built many repeaters for the SAR world. We started 20+ years ago with a simplex repeater. Lasted one event and was shelfed. As other said spend some time and research. Most of our repeaters are now 2 VHF mobiles, a duplexer and power source in a pelican case. Basic antenna on a mast works well. Low power works fine as its only portables talking to it anyway. In the end this is the best way to do this in the LMR world. I even have one repeater that uses a pair of HT1000's with a cheap controller. ITs not idea but is the backup or a backup and is light and runs on batteries. I can carry to a hill top throw a VHF antenna in the tree with 20' of cable and get something on the air quick until a better system can go up.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
I was actually discussing this topic with someone yesterday. Mentioned what I found with simplex repeaters is they tend to operate more efficiently if they are configured like a regular repeater (RX on one frequency and TX on another) as it's less apparent to the casual user that they are running on a half duplex system. If you are listening to the repeater output...you only hear the message from the repeater. If you send a message to the repeater, you will hear the message on the output from the repeater but you will be the only one who hears the message twice.

That being said, for SAR application I would personally go with a full duplex repeater based on some small radios. I really like the Maxon SD series radios and actually just sent a pair of to a friend who is wanting to package two SD-170's with a duplexer into a small Pelican case and fly it via a tethered weather balloon (I suggested a cheaper proof of concept using a lifting kite). Portable and can get enough altitude to make up for low transmit power.

Status
Not open for further replies.