Creep taunts cops on radio with bogus call of police shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
Dallas uses a similar system. Conventional UHF, different PL for input and output, with each primary patrol channel having a transmitter in their district and a few city channels, and voting receivers. Its a system that works.
Although it could use some additional work as i think some of the voters are having issues.

I thought after 9/11, NY was going to upgrade just about everything, in the name of security?

They are.

When T-Band is taken away, they will more than likely be using Radio over LTE (RoLTE) on broadband spectrum. That will make everything completely unmonitorable. Those kinds of devices are already being researched and developmentally manufactured.

Packets of data (including packets of data that consist of a digitized voice) don't care if they're riding on P25 or LTE just as long as there's something to transport them from point A to point B. It's just another waveform.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Blaming the radio, is like blaming the gun. They're both just tools. Sometimes idiots use them. Ban idiots!

Ban idiots!
They are.

How people in the area can help is by listening to the input (+3 MHz from the repeater frequency they usually listen to), recording their observations about the unauthorized transmissions, not engaging the subject, and reporting it to the police. They'll take it from there.

NC1

You're missing the point a bit. These are not harmless devices, theyre NOT soda cups! They need to be stopped from entering the U.S. because the majority of people buying them Do NOT have the license to operate them. These chinese radios are not license free, but it doesn't matter to those unwilling to become licensed. Its serious because this crap is being used illegally on public safety repeaters. 73, n9zas

I somewhat agree, but it opens the door to banning so many things for almost any reason. How about those laser pens you can get in the dollar store? They have caused problems, should we ban the import of those too?

Once the lines get blurred, there is no way to put the genie back in the bottle - our politicians will make sure of that.
They could institute a complete ban across the board, and private licenses will require you to have a specific radio that is capable of only the frequency (or frequencies) you are authorized for. The manufacturer knows that if you want to use a set of frequencies, you have to buy HIS radio - and the cost goes through the roof simply because he can.
Let's couple that more restrictions, say maybe "voice only", and the license is now $400 a year because the cost of policing the bands has increased.

The abusers need to be found and held accountable - that is the correct way to handle the problem. People are stabbed to death with steak knives, and beaten in the head with hammers. Do we ban those? There are far more instances of those things occurring than radio interference.

I'm not defending it, but a ban is opening the door to an even bigger government, and we sure don't need any more of that.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
Yes, it IS misuse of imported Illegal radios in the U.S. The problem is that there are already Legal radios allowed here in our country which don't create the headaches previously mentioned. Much of this issue is happening because of our Commerce and communications commisions dropping the ball and allowing this crap to happen, which results in interference to licensed services all over the country. 73, n9zas

Years ago there was a jackass who called himself the Voice of God. There were no Chinese radios back then. He got his hands on a radio and programmed the NYPD frequencies in it. Other folks are right; it's not the radio, it's the jackasses using them.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I somewhat agree, but it opens the door to banning so many things for almost any reason. How about those laser pens you can get in the dollar store? They have caused problems, should we ban the import of those too?
The FAA would sure be on board with that, but then that's another thread! Okay maybe not necessarilly a ban per se, But definitely tighter restrictions on Non Fcc type accepted Crap across our borders! 73, n9zas

Last edited:

gewecke

Banned
Years ago there was a jackass who called himself the Voice of God. There were no Chinese radios back then. He got his hands on a radio and programmed the NYPD frequencies in it. Other folks are right; it's not the radio, it's the jackasses using them.
. If I remember the article about that, they DID find him because the radios he was using had ANI enabled but he was clueless! :). 73, n9zas

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
quote"If the NYPD system uses two different PL's then unauthorized transmissions shouldn't be happening."

Actually they do on a few of the Precients in Brooklyn, and in some cases non standard input frequencies.It was mainly to help mitigate problems in the hood with the Icom U16 portable, which couldn't do PL 94.8.

Fast forward 20 years and it doesn't take much time to figure out the input PL, especially with a 100 or so frequency radio and scanners that read PL DPL codes. PL and P-25 won't solve this problem only time and good old legwork will.

NYPD has told the FCC and Congress they are NOT giving up their T-Band freqs anytime soon. They have a large investment in the system that the Feds would have to pay for to replace entirely. NYPD LTE for voice is in my opinion is 20 years away, and I see Tetra before LTE. They do have a large 4.9 ghz data and video system in place now.

Voice of God and Laughing Box there will always be stupid people, but threats over a radio is new and dangerous.

wrath

Weather you drop a carrier on them or cause a panic with a fake call , it's jamming , depriving the intended users of there radio and there spectrum to be free of non sense.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

gewecke

Banned
Encryption doesn't stop jamming.
Yes it does. Have you ever USED an encrypted radio before? If its strapped for full time encryption, and you attempt to transmit in the clear, they won't even hear you. Try again. Do your homework! The problem here is malicious interference, making fake calls, Etc. :wink: 73, n9zas 73, n9zas

gewecke

Banned
Weather you drop a carrier on them or cause a panic with a fake call , it's jamming , depriving the intended users of there radio and there spectrum to be free of non sense.

Exactly! 73, n9zas

Evgeni

Yes it does. Have you ever USED an encrypted radio before? If its strapped for full time encryption, and you attempt to transmit in the clear, they won't even hear you. Try again. Do your homework! The problem here is malicious interference, making fake calls, Etc. :wink: 73, n9zas 73, n9zas

Yes, wifi!
2.4 ghz, whether you have 802.11b or 802.11n, AES or no encryption, it can be jammed with a microwave oven.

Somebody can still jam even if ther "cute" remarks can not be heard.

gewecke

Banned
Yes, wifi!
2.4 ghz, whether you have 802.11b or 802.11n, AES or no encryption, it can be jammed with a microwave oven.

Somebody can still jam even if ther "cute" remarks can not be heard.
We're Not talking about wifi, but Public safety comms here which do Not operate on 2.4 ghz. . Wifi is very Low power for one thing, also wifi encryption is Not the same format. A microwave oven is Not going to bother anything at all! Do some reading ok? :lol: 73, n9zas

wrath

Actually my department localy currently uses a voip system, and we have had knuckle heads mess with the system by Radio, but one of the dispatchers is one of us ( ham) and the laughable thing about it that he has noted is the first A/D conversion is done wirelesly in the 4 gig range that is currently unregulated spectrum, the people caught harassing the system used 70 cm and had the entire law library dropped on them, whereas if they approached it technically they could take out the whole shooting match at the feed point , they are currently replacing this antique system, with another system that will be digital .

Evgeni

We're Not talking about wifi, but Public safety comms here which do Not operate on 2.4 ghz. . Wifi is very Low power for one thing, also wifi encryption is Not the same format. A microwave oven is Not going to bother anything at all! Do some reading ok? :lol: 73, n9zas

"A microwave oven is Not going to bother anything at all!" A microwave is an example of a powerful noisy transmitter.
And a policeman's handheld is very low power compared to somebody jamming him with a 100 watt mobile.

It isn't really going to matter if the cop is using plain old FM, P25 1 or 2, DMR, or NXDN. If he is using encryption or not. He is still going to be drowned out by somebody "dropping the maul" on him.

Now are some modulations better when it comes to noise, yes. But that is only so much.

wrath

Yeah but rip a 1200 or 1500 watt oven apart and connect to some dryer vent or worse a tuned cavity and you have a seriously hazardous item.

toastycookies

Yeah but rip a 1200 or 1500 watt oven apart and connect to some dryer vent or worse a tuned cavity and you have a seriously hazardous item.

ban magnetrons?

their spurratic RFI is just too much compared to type accepted appliances.

ban them all?

Status
Not open for further replies.