Creep taunts cops on radio with bogus call of police shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

n1das

Found these interesting items in today's FCC Daily Digest.

FCC PROPOSES $400K FINE FOR ILLEGAL USE OF NYPD'S RADIO SYSTEM. News Release. Adopted: 04/14/2017. News Media Contact: Will Wiquist at (202) 418-0509, email: Will.Wiquist@fcc.gov EB https://apps.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-344411A1.docx
https://apps.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-344411A1.pdf

JAY PERALTA, CORONA NY. This NAL proposes a $400k penalty against Jay Peralta, for apparently operating a radio on frequencies licensed to the NYPD, without authorization, as well as broadcasting to disrupt police communications. Action by: the Commission. Adopted: 04/13/2017 by NAL. (FCC No. 17-35). EB https://apps.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-17-35A1.docx
https://apps.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-17-35A2.docx
https://apps.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-17-35A1.pdf
https://apps.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-17-35A2.pdf

joetnymedic

Feed Provider
Was assistance delayed to fallen officer because of stolen or illegal radios?

As many of you know an NYPD officer was shot and killed as she sat in her rmp the other day. Sad to say the New York Post released the audio of her fellow officer calling for assistance. having worked in New York as a paramedic I cannot even begin to say how dismayed I was listening to this radio traffic. I am going to include the link here in my post. One of the first things you will hear after the officer calls in for assistance is one of the other officers or possibly even brass signing on and stating the radio is probably a stolen radio. Dig this delay the response to the Fallen officer I don't believe so however just a thought that this could have been a stolen radio and even if the delay need assistance by seconds goes to show out how out of hand it has gotten in New York or anywhere for that fact stolen radios illegal radios Etc we have officers firefighters in EMS Personnel out there in a field who depend on their radios as a Lifeline. then to say someone with a stolen radio or an illegally programmed radio could do something that could delay assistance to them is just beyond words. when I saw the story and then heard the tape I immediately thought about this story and several others wear jammers and others using stolen Police radios have caused havoc on the air waves. I belong to several radio groups on Facebook and on private sites recently one of the Facebook groups actually brought an ad to everyone's attention from someone selling baofeng radios and the wording of the ad. Now this ad was for baofeng radios but it could have been for any Chinese radio or any radio capable of being programmed to public safety frequencies. The ad actually had the words you can talk to the police in the ad. the site moderator took it upon himself to contact the sheriff in that jurisdiction where the sales were taking place and that is all fine and great. There is no need for radios capable of being transmitted on on Public Safety frequencies to be in the hands of civilians that's it flat out if you want to buy a Chinese radio or you want to buy a used radio and program them to ham frequencies or program them to monitor that is fine but once you cross the bridge and start transmitting and start transmitting on public safety frequencies there is a problem and that problem can get someone killed that's all I'm going to say other than posting the audio here for you guys to hear with your own two ears the police thinking it was a stolen radio. I hope this officer can rest in peace.

Police scanner captures moment NYPD officer was assassinated | New York Post

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
I'll bet the 'brass hat' who made that statement about "It could be a stolen radio" feels really, really bad about now.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
How long before they go digital and encrypted?

SCPD

QRT
While sand pounders will cry and debate interference, encryption will solve the pirate issues of voice calling out fake calls. Give it time it will go to nyc fully.

If they have a issue of stolen radios they need better control, tracking, mdc stun kill, tactical inhibit, sign any equipment in and out daily hand it in if people can't be responsible for equipment. Encrypt with ability to tactical kill the radios if one is missing.

I reviewed the link and was this officer a traffic officer, no gun or auxiliary? They need the start arming auxiliary in my opinion. Anywhere where out west reserves, auxiliaries carry everything and meet same standards as fully certified leos

Only ones who don't are civilian observer patrols. Being nyc is a large they need to arm auxiliary as a normal process or traffic enforcement. While they may be trained for if need be they need to be given the same tools as fully certified and pass exams. Too dangerous these days to do the job without the full ability of having said tools if needed.

In most SoCal cities you would never know one is a reserve officer. Same uniform, weapons, equipment, training.

Last edited:

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
I reviewed the link and was this officer a traffic officer, no gun or auxiliary?
No, she was a fully trained, full time police officer. She and her partner were parked when the murderer walked by and shot her through the window. "...she (was) gunned down in cold blood by a cop-hating assassin as she sat in a mobile command anti-crime vehicle, protecting a Bronx neighborhood long plagued by gang violence." See: http://nypost.com/2017/07/05/the-assassination-of-officer-miosotis-familia/

It is very unlikely that NYPD will "go digital" anytime soon. NYC simply doesn't have the money for such a massive and expensive infrastructure change. :(

Last edited:

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
It is very unlikely that NYPD will "go digital" anytime soon. NYC simply doesn't have the money for such a massive and expensive infrastructure change. :(

Because of the importance of NYC in so many different ways, all it will take is one grant from the Department of Homeland Security. You wake up one morning and the scanners are silent.

SpugEddy

Premium Subscriber
This definitely does open up the conversation of;
which is more important?
The public's right to hear what is going on, or
the safety of those who are out protecting us.

I was very disappointed when my area went Phase II.
But at the same time I understand why. A lot of my
friends feel like they still have the right to hear what's
going on regardless of safety concerns.

Baker845

Matter of time before NYPD goes encrypted. Why hasn't NYPD changed there TX PL and have different tones for rx and tx?

SCPD

QRT
I think some larger conventional areas, many small areas stick to same set so it is easier and less hassle for outer agencies who interop. At one time this was pheasable but now days anyone can buy Wang bang china or garage bonked equipment using illegal items. This is why many admins and techs are locking systems down. The demand for security is here now days.

I don't know why many do not use tactical kill, mdc kill stun, encryption when it is a standard anymore or lock plugs down. Even xts model 1s had ucms. For those who say they didn't we have a fleet of 500 with them which cost nothing extra for us. Of course a customer going to motorola can ask for plane Jane but if any homeland grants are used it must meet the criteria for that grant. Whether or not it gets used is another story.

SCPD

QRT
I'll bet the 'brass hat' who made that statement about "It could be a stolen radio" feels really, really bad about now.

What's sad is it appears to be so common and most likely why he said it. Of course he feels bad snd would feel bad if he hadn't said it, he lost a officer under his watch.

Most don't think about it but with grants and situations like this push for it to happen, most cities will take 70 percent of public work budgets and slide it into public safety funding. Happens all over.

A fleet of radios can be replaced now days easily when migrating.while some areas it's slow going, taking time others went full out within matter of week to weeks after deployment started.

Darkstar350

After listening to the audio - and i know its easier said than done in a situation like this but i think the officer could have been a little more professional on the air
Again in the heat of the moment i understand its difficult to think clearly but screaming like that over the air not only causes confusion but in itself puts safety at risk
Also they didnt use the "10-13" signal which i was under the impression that was the emergency code where as "10-85" or whatever is non emergency...

wrath

Everyone who thinks that anything is going to change with new or different radios is just fooling thrmselves, it's like the radar detector wars years ago the same people who create and sell the radar guns are selling the detectors for it , pretty much the same thing with spectrum and radios since time immortal, to really change something police radios and capabilities should never get into civilian hands , like the "beast" when one gets retired its destroyed by the Secret Service, you can own all the scanners you want and buy a palet load of CCRS but nothing should be able to transmit on the police frequency by legal,or illegal radio hacking ,until that happens nothing changes P25 radios even retired homeland encrypted stuff is sold at auctions everyday to anybody with money to spend , the government resells its used stuff to losers , just like in the fight against ISIS they are using equipment we left over there against "us" . If they don't have access to devices it will slow this B.S. down a lot, every County should have a unified radio system with all first responders on the same system , with a redundant mutusl aid frequency for officers traveling outside of there area , gee where have i read this before, hum may be somewhere in the 911 reccomendations and the concept of P25 interoperability that has become a talking point for radio manufacturers to promise and not deliver , most departments want to PTT and it to work beyond that they don't want to learn how to use the systems they have or are getting , my county signed a contract for a 26 million dollar headache that will not be interoperable in any way with neighboring counties or the state and have ignored or told us on the radio committee we don't understand there needs and our suggestions have fallen on deaf ears just as it has for the last forty years , until its installed and find out we were right , then they will in private admit to there mistakes , but publicly blame everyone else ,every few years they want to over spend on technology they can't use but sounds really good from the radio salesman . So the cycle will continue both in getting new radios they can't use and knuckleheads abusing spectrum until people have no transmitters capable of creating bedlam left , we started this race down with ball mounts and 102" whips the radios and antennas have gotten smaller but the opportunity to cause chaos just keeps going .

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Darkstar350

If NYPD does happen to "upgrade" their system at all - one helpful upgrade would be establish radio id's this way it would definitely be easier to catch a stolen/unauthorized radio and even just that would take a lot of time...

Kb2Jpd

If NYPD does happen to "upgrade" their system at all - one helpful upgrade would be establish radio id's this way it would definitely be easier to catch a stolen/unauthorized radio and even just that would take a lot of time...

The NYCPD has an excellent radio shop full of expierenced staff that understand how their radio system works.

They use dozens of receivers connected to an advanced voting system so they know when someone is transmitting where it is at.

They can do DFing much faster than an ham can. And they have quite a few hams working for them there.

BTW, An unauthorized radio would not have an valid ID since most don't know what the system consists of.

Finally, until you have been in their shoes, when you hear a 85 or a 13, you don't know what it's like.

I'm working 23 years for FDNY*EMS and have responded numerous times to PDs and EMS 85s and 13s.

The frequency goes to crap quickly. You find the best fastest route and go lights and sirens until you're 84. The decent experienced Dispatcher knows you're in route and just let him know you're 84 and if you need additional resources.

You keep frosty and try not to have tunnel vision. Do your continual scene safety and do what's necessary. Assess and do the medical interventions and see if you need Advanced Life Support.

Don't do the armchair quarterbacking until you have been in the hot seat. Not everyone is suitable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darkstar350

Yes i know NYPD does have a great radio shop and excellent system as far as coverage goes thats why there is little need to change the radio system at all
My point was if they did decide to change anything at all it would be beneficial to incorporate radio id's into the system and i know unauthorized radios would not have id's this is why if every official NYPD radio had id's it would narrow down the unauthorized radios - but again that alone would be a major project..

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
The NYCPD has an excellent radio shop full of expierenced staff that understand how their radio system works.

They use dozens of receivers connected to an advanced voting system so they know when someone is transmitting where it is at.

They can do DFing much faster than an ham can. And they have quite a few hams working for them there.

BTW, An unauthorized radio would not have an valid ID since most don't know what the system consists of.

Finally, until you have been in their shoes, when you hear a 85 or a 13, you don't know what it's like.

I'm working 23 years for FDNY*EMS and have responded numerous times to PDs and EMS 85s and 13s.

The frequency goes to crap quickly. You find the best fastest route and go lights and sirens until you're 84. The decent experienced Dispatcher knows you're in route and just let him know you're 84 and if you need additional resources.

You keep frosty and try not to have tunnel vision. Do your continual scene safety and do what's necessary. Assess and do the medical interventions and see if you need Advanced Life Support.

Don't do the armchair quarterbacking until you have been in the hot seat. Not everyone is suitable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some of us don't have a clue what you're talking about. 85? 13? And if I "go lights and sirens" until I'm 84, I'll have to do it for 11 years. Can I get a break when I'm 78 or so?

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
10-13...officer needs assistance. 10-85, request addition unit(s) 10-84 on scene. NYPD radio codes are different from APCO. JPD, not everyone is from the city, brother.

Darkstar350

(i think)I recall hearing something that FDNY was having similar issues in regards to the unauthorized radios so therefore they were considering or now actually do have radio id's but im not sure if that would be for their conventional system or trunked because FDNY does make much more use of the trunk system(s) than PD does..

Status
Not open for further replies.