Creepy moments on the radio.... at night!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edelweiss

Author of: Scanning the UK Airbands with the Beast
I have been listening to radio for decades and came across this very odd transmission one night which I could not make sense of. It happened as follows:

It's not Halloween yet but I was scanning through military ATC channels in the south of Britain one night at approx. 8.30 pm local time this October. Things were relatively quiet. On an normally active channel I noticed the squelch opening and there was a carrier. Then suddenly a male voice was audible, talking in a somewhat odd, un-fluent way in a language that I could not identify with certainty. Then it changed over to a female voice almost like a response. I could not identify what language it was.

I could read in some English words but I am not sure if I heard something that it wasn't.

The exchange lasted about 40 s and it sounded like some theatrical re-citation dialogue carried out by an almost robotic voice.

Anyway, I thought this was very odd on a mil UHF channel that is active at times. I thought not much more about as it was quiet again and almost forgot about it. Quiet. Then suddenly about 3-4 minutes later it occurred again in exactly the same way! As I normally have no issues with interference or intermod with this radio (Realistc Pro 2006) it started to feel really eerie. I got the recorder fired up to see if I can record the voices after they again stopped in case it happened again.

A third transmission occurred shortly thereafter and I am not sure if the dialogue was the same, the voices sure were. I then managed to record it. The transmission sounded to be genuinely on this channel, however now I tried to fire up the SDR to check if there was really a transmission on this channel. Unfortunately the transmissions never recurred. The ATC controller did not respond to it, of course.

Now it felt genuinely eerie and I do not know what to make of it. It sure has perfectly normal origins.

I was trying to attach the recording file here for your judgment but was not successful with posting wav or mp3, even when disguised as something else. If someone could advise me how to post it it would be great, as I normally not post on the forum. I also do not seem to have permission to post media.

Did you experience similar moments? Appatently there are people listening to "ghosts" on the radio :)...

Can someone advise me how to attach the file as I would like to know if someone can positively identify the language or dialogoue.

Mike

RFI-EMI-GUY

Sounds like a Diagnostic Rhyme Test. DRT's are performed to test the audio quality of telecommunications systems.

Edelweiss

Sounds like a Diagnostic Rhyme Test. DRT's are performed to test the audio quality of telecommunications systems.

This explanation sounds very plausible to me. Colleague mentioned similar things. It may be synthetic voices with senseless syllables like they use in psychology experiments.

What is weird is the time of day and the use of an otherwise active channel without verbal warning e.g. "this is a test".
The voices are not reversed, so there is no use trying...

Maybe someone recognises the sample.

M

RFI-EMI-GUY

What language are you hearing? It sounds French. Maybe some contractor like Airbus is testing an air to ground system .

Edelweiss

My French colleague has positively identified as not French. I expect it is no real language at all.

M

Status
Not open for further replies.