CRESA/BOEC sites...

Status
Not open for further replies.

eecame

Hi folks. I'm new to the trunking systems and while I'm getting a good grasp of the basics I have some questions about the multi sites and simulcasting.

I'm looking to program the CRESA and BOEC into my scanner but like to keep things and small and clean as possible. These two systems are both multisite systems which would require a lot of programming. I don't mind the programming, its not hard but that many sites is cumbersome and keeps me from the lean and clean setup that I prefer.

So, my question. Living in Vancouver, can I get away with just programming the simulcast sites? Is there any advantage to programming the other sites?

I ran al ittle experiment with the CRESA... I programmed the simulcast, Washougal River, Yacolt Mt., and Cascade Locks sites and ran the scan for 12 hours, logging the scan.

The results are 1578 hits. 84% (1323) of them were on the Simulcast system; 10% (153) were on the Yacolt Mt system; 6% (89) were from Washougal River; and 1% (13) from Cascade Locks.

I'm theorizing that if I wasn't scanning all four sites that many of the non-simulcast transmissions would have been picked up on the Simulcast system.

Anyone else familiar with these systems that can provide some input on which sites are best and which are essential, etc.?

scootz

Premium Subscriber
You are correct.

Just program the simulcast sites and you should be just fine. The other sites you have will only come up if a radio has "affiliated" with that site based on where that unit is. The radio traffic for that talkgroup will still come across the simulcast site though.

Hope that helps.

DickH

scootz said:
You are correct.

Just program the simulcast sites and you should be just fine. The other sites you have will only come up if a radio has "affiliated" with that site based on where that unit is. The radio traffic for that talkgroup will still come across the simulcast site though.

Hope that helps.

Also, most newer scanners can do Control Channel only trunking, so you only need to put in the 4 control channels for each system.

Status
Not open for further replies.