Crest @ new HRO (Hero)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BC_Scan

Crest is ramping up for 700 Mhz P25 deployment in the next 36 months , is anyone in Lower Vancouver Island scanned thru 700 and found any control channels ,many new simulcast sites will be added, and user will switch over by 2018, I know there are those over there with newer scanners, can anyone post here any results so we can start tracking ? I suspect some have been set up for testing purposes.
Slick video at Crest.ca
If your not sure how to search in 700 PM me and I will guide you through

dwc

Database Admin
From what I hear this will be a dual 700MHz and VHF system. I imagine VHF will be primarily used in the rural / gulf island areas.

As well, I also hear there will be cross-system roaming capabilities between the E-Comm NGRP 700MHz and CREST HRO. For example, a Vic PD member could drive over to Vancouver and drag his talkgroup there.

BC_Scan

Not quite usesless, but seeing as that only does P25 P1, and if system is P2 you are SOL, that being said, we need to find out what type of system they will be deploying, the other thing you can count on is the possbility of ENC, if it is the way it is here in GVRD, than it is game over. NO scanner will decrpyt encryption.
Start by scanning 700 mhz in search bank on your scanner , look for active control channels, than you can use a tapped scanner with a free utility to see which type it is.

brentd123

Yes it only does P1 and it's quite old. I was looking at upgrading but if they follow shawnigan Lake and Millbay it will be ENC. It seems to be the new thing. I guess I will just wait and see. I have no idea how to scan 700mhz

BC_Scan

OMG, how long you had the scanner for ??
Easier to Read BCD396T/UBCD396T Digital Scanner Manual
Do us all a favour enter in via these steps above the following 764 mhz to 780 mhz,listen for the tell tale signs of a new 700 mhz control channel, the always on carrier that is annoying to listen to.
That way as the new system comes on line we will have the latest information.
Remember this is how the hobby grows , people that spend the time to uncover the facts.

brentd123

I've had the scanner for years I just had no idea there was a 700 MHz system. I will try this.

The scanner will not accept any 700 MHz frequencies

Last edited by a moderator:

rr129

BCD436HP scanning the 700MHz band, almost all the Provoice channels are on there now, but totally encrypted.

brentd123

700 MHz is only capable on a scanner that will do P25 phase two. Mine is older so it will only scan phase one. The bcd396XT which was a updated version of my bcd396t will do it. Perhaps I will upgrade

BC_Scan

The scanner will not accept any 700 MHz frequencies[/QUOTE]
?? Huh , how do you think we found all the 700 Mhz P25 for the Olympics in 2010, trusty old 396T

BC_Scan

BCD436HP scanning the 700MHz band, almost all the Provoice channels are on there now, but totally encrypted.

I think you are confusing E-Comm with Crest, P25 is the agreed to standard, Provoice is over and in Vancouver it is all P25 ENC Phase II, the PV is at 800 mhz.

BC_Scan

You can still search for that information, the scanner (396T) does not care if it is P1 or P2 ,you can still jot down the frequency information and submit here. That is what we need.
Yes it is true that if it is P2 and you were to attempt to listen than it would not de-modulate.
We just want the frequencies man !

BC_Scan

Possible frequency sighting , Codan Radio comm have licensed to their location on Erie St
770.3813, 773.3687, 773.8687, possibly related to Crest in that they supply equipment to Emerg services and these freq while not necessarily part of Crest will be used for testing purposes,
could someone in the area put a listening on to this and see if there is a control channel or any type of testing overheard ?
License is 8K10F1W modulation designator indicating P25 Phase 2, meaning if there is voice on there only P25 P2 scanner will hear if not encrypted.

BC_Scan

OK great Thanks, can you try and pin point location for that if your mobile, if not what is your general location ? Can you hear the other two control channels from your location ?

exponent

I'll trade you. I am newbie to SDR. I stumbled onto this frequency by playing around in SDR# and then trying channels in Unitrunker. The control channel I enter is 771.3375 BUT the channel list says the control channels are 771.53125 and 771.78125. I suspect that my dongle needs a correction. Do you of a channel that is fixed that I can use to calibrate my RTL Dongle? I am also unsure of when to use a minus sign. Can I assume that the correction is added to the frequency? For instance if I am reading too low I add positive correction or is it the other way around?

The other thing that is driving me nuts is that although I can see all the channels and conversations I can not hear any of them. I am not sure if the problem is with DSDplus or the channel group. Do you know of any other trunk groups I can test against.

I iive in a terrible location for radio. I am in South Burnaby near Marine way and the hill that Metrotown is on effective blocks everything to the north of me..

Any help is appreciated,

exponent

I got my radios calibrated and control channels are 771.53125 and 771.78125. There is a lot of traffic there. I just cant for the life of me get DSDplus to decode the audio so I am looking for another digital trunk group to try if you know of one.

Status
Not open for further replies.