Crimp tool for BNC connectors on RG58U , RG8X

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firekite

I’m looking at going ahead and putting my own right-angle BNC connector on the end of a couple Mobile NMO applications. I’ve crimped RG6 for TV and lots of phone and networking cables, but I’m not sure about what crimp tool (and die size, if necessary) to get. My initial thought is to get the Laird MB8X NMO Mount with unterminated RG8X, and using the Amphenol 031-6005-RFX connector: https://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/amphenol-031-6005-rfx-6153

If anyone who knows would be willing to point me in the right direction for a crimping tool (ideally inexpensive), I would appreciate it. I really only foresee doing a small handful, so fancy/pneumatic/hardcore models shouldn’t be necessary.

Firekite

You might as well get crimpers with dies that will do several sizes of coax. These are ok and will do RG-58, RG-8X, RG-174, LMR195, LMR240, etc, for $22. Crimper Crimp Tool for LMR240 LMR195 100 RG8X Mini 8 RG58 59 RG174 RF Coax Cable 609465704258 | eBay
Ok thanks that gives me something to work from. This seems like a good option then, yes?

Swpeet 14Pcs Professional Crimping Tool Kit, Ratcheting Wire Terminal Crimper Tool Kit with 1Pcs Cable Stripper and 10pcs 50 Ohm BNC Crimp Male/Straight Connectors for Coax Connectors - - Amazon.com

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø

I have a similar set at home and it works pretty well.
The stripper is not very good, but you can get by with it. A sharp X-acto knife will help.

I use marine grade/adhesive lined heat shrink tubing over all my crimps. It's an easy/cheap addition and helps with strain relief. You can pick up the marine grade heat shrink on Amazon pretty cheap.

Firekite

I ended up ordering the “Glarks” version of that kit I linked earlier, some random-syllable Engrish name I presume, but it seems like it’ll probably do the job well enough for my needs and the price wasn’t bad at $26.68. Came with 5 male BNC connectors and 5 PL259, seemingly for RG58. I think I’ve decided my NMO install will be with LMR-200 and a right-angle BNC which is a solder connector, so I just need it to crimp the ferrule in place over the coax. Might—might—have enough LMR-200 left over for an unnecessarily priced jumper to get an antenna out the house window, but if that’s the case I’ll probably save it for a second NMO to a second radio if that happens in the future. Here’s a pic of the set unwrapped and a closeup of the die.

E71B989C-C1F6-4F9C-9F85-655052526E51.jpeg

1A9AC061-7ABA-4A2B-8CEB-40344B379966.jpeg

I use marine grade/adhesive lined heat shrink tubing over all my crimps. It's an easy/cheap addition and helps with strain relief. You can pick up the marine grade heat shrink on Amazon pretty cheap.
Thanks for the recommendation. I got this package on the same order. Time will tell how good it is, but it seems a lot thicker and stiffer than the stuff I’m used to using for generic auto applications.

130pcs 3:1 Dual Wall Adhesive... 130pcs 3:1 Dual Wall Adhesive Heat Shrink Tubing Kit, 6 Sizes (Diameter): 1/2, 3/8, 1/4, 3/16, 1/8, 3/32 inch, Premium Wire Cable Sleeve Tube Assortment with Storage Case for DIY by MILAPEAK (Black): Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I ended up ordering the “Glarks” version of that kit I linked earlier, some random-syllable Engrish name I presume, but it seems like it’ll probably do the job well enough for my needs and the price wasn’t bad at $26.68. Came with 5 male BNC connectors and 5 PL259, seemingly for RG58. I think I’ve decided my NMO install will be with LMR-200 and a right-angle BNC which is a solder connector, so I just need it to crimp the ferrule in place over the coax. Might—might—have enough LMR-200 left over for an unnecessarily priced jumper to get an antenna out the house window, but if that’s the case I’ll probably save it for a second NMO to a second radio if that happens in the future. Here’s a pic of the set unwrapped and a closeup of the die.

Looks like it'll do the trick.
I have some higher end crimpers at work for various sizes of coax, and I have a hard time seeing the difference between the crimps when comparing the expensive vs. cheaper crimpers.

Now that you have the kit, it'll be easy to make custom cables for what ever you need.
Just make sure you get decent quality coaxial connectors. There are (as usual) some cheap Chinese connectors out there that are real crap. I usually stick with the name brand stuff.

Thanks for the recommendation. I got this package on the same order. Time will tell how good it is, but it seems a lot thicker and stiffer than the stuff I’m used to using for generic auto applications.

130pcs 3:1 Dual Wall Adhesive... 130pcs 3:1 Dual Wall Adhesive Heat Shrink Tubing Kit, 6 Sizes (Diameter): 1/2, 3/8, 1/4, 3/16, 1/8, 3/32 inch, Premium Wire Cable Sleeve Tube Assortment with Storage Case for DIY by MILAPEAK (Black): Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

That's the stuff. You can buy similar kits at Harbor Freight, if you have one of those nearby, wait until they throw out one of their good coupons and you can buy more pretty cheap.

It helps with strain relief and really makes it look professional.

Firekite

I have some higher end crimpers at work for various sizes of coax, and I have a hard time seeing the difference between the crimps when comparing the expensive vs. cheaper crimpers.
Yeah, other than avoiding clearly defective dies, I think most of what you’re supposed to be paying for with big name hand crimpers is broad support, maybe some comfortable designs, and durability. This looks good enough for my meager needs.

Just make sure you get decent quality coaxial connectors.
Yeah, at $8 plus shipping each, I’m hoping these Amphenol connectors are decent quality and that I don’t screw them up :)

https://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/amphenol-112599-8362

Status
Not open for further replies.