Crimping SMA Male

Status
Not open for further replies.

BonziBuddy

I bought 4 SMA Male crimp connectors off ebay and connected them to a antenna I had lying around. The signal is great but if the wire is bent at the crimp in a certain way, the signal drops.
I followed the directions in YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

I bought crimp connectors... not solder. Are these connectors cheap quality and should not be used?

Do I NEED a crimp tool?

DPD1

If you just used pliers or something to crimp it, then it probably isn't as good as it could be. Moving the cable is probably making the braid lose contact or something.

slicerwizard

I followed the directions in YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.
Well there's your problem. First, the guy tries to solder the center pin while holding it with his fingers?? Then he switches to huge heat sucking pliers - no wonder it wouldn't take the first couple of tries. God made needle nose pliers for a reason.

I bought crimp connectors... not solder. Are these connectors cheap quality and should not be used?
They're fine. I've used them on a few antennas without incident.

Do I NEED a crimp tool?
Only if you can't do the crimp properly with pliers.

Also, you should've used some heat shrink tubing over the crimp and up the cable a few inches - that would've stabilized the job and reduced cable wear from flexing. Too late now though.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I do not recommend crimp connectors at all where rf is concerned. connections should be soldered whenever possible.
n9zas

Status
Not open for further replies.