• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Crimping tool for accessory connector pins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc_hubbs

Can anyone tell me what kind of crimping tool I need to attach wires to the accessory connectors on some radios ?

Not sure if it matters, but I'll be using mostly Pm400 and Cm200 radios.

Also, what type are those pins that go inside the accessory connector ?

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
You can buy the pins pre-attached to short wires, the 16-pin connector housings, and a wide selection of pre-assembled kits and even cables for specific applications.

The seller is mre1032 on ebay. He is retired law enforcement and highly respected in the radio community for this equipment.

Like you, I wanted the crimper at first. But when I looked at his offerings, I shelved that idea. Now I keep a kit of connector housings, pre-wired pins, ready made jumpers and more. All of this I purchased from mre1032.

kc_hubbs

Im having my company buy this stuff, so I have to PO everything. So, i wont be able to order anything from eBay.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
You can buy the pins pre-attached to short wires, the 16-pin connector housings, and a wide selection of pre-assembled kits and even cables for specific applications.

The seller is mre1032 on ebay. He is retired law enforcement and highly respected in the radio community for this equipment.

Like you, I wanted the crimper at first. But when I looked at his offerings, I shelved that idea. Now I keep a kit of connector housings, pre-wired pins, ready made jumpers and more. All of this I purchased from mre1032.

Ditto. Some of the best money I ever spent.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
If you don't want to shop ebay, search for part HLN9457A. It's a connector kit with pre-made wires included.

PACNWDude

+1 on mre1032. Have used his cables, and interconnect kits to build many portable repeaters, and extend audio to remote speakers. Great seller and products. Will continue to use this vendor.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
Then contact mre1032 through ebay, explain your situation. I’ll bet he’ll he’ll deal direct so you can use your po’s.

Just a comment here... RR is primarily a hobby oriented forum. We do have pros here, but it’s still hobby/amateur first. We’re trying to help you so tossing out obstacles to really good suggestions isn’t helpful to the conversation. You could have figured out that you probably could deal with him direct for yourself.

kc_hubbs

Then contact mre1032 through ebay, explain your situation. I’ll bet he’ll he’ll deal direct so you can use your po’s.

Just a comment here... RR is primarily a hobby oriented forum. We do have pros here, but it’s still hobby/amateur first. We’re trying to help you so tossing out obstacles to really good suggestions isn’t helpful to the conversation. You could have figured out that you probably could deal with him direct for yourself.

I do appreciate all the help that everyone on this forum. After re-reading my post about the PO, i can see that it seemed like I was ignoring good advice. I do apologize for that. Long story short, is that I have to PO everything, and I have an approved vendor list, and I cant really deviate from it. You can't imagine the headaches it causes me. However, I have saved the ebay member information you gave me for my personal use. Again, I really do appreciate all the help I get here, and I apologize for the way the previous post sounded.

I wound up buying the HLN9457A kit from Amazon. It has helped out greatly. After all the reading on the forum, I figured it was a better option than trying to do this stuff myself.

NVAGVUP

Feed Provider
I do appreciate all the help that everyone on this forum. After re-reading my post about the PO, i can see that it seemed like I was ignoring good advice. I do apologize for that. Long story short, is that I have to PO everything, and I have an approved vendor list, and I cant really deviate from it. You can't imagine the headaches it causes me. However, I have saved the ebay member information you gave me for my personal use. Again, I really do appreciate all the help I get here, and I apologize for the way the previous post sounded.

I wound up buying the HLN9457A kit from Amazon. It has helped out greatly. After all the reading on the forum, I figured it was a better option than trying to do this stuff myself.

Wise choice RE HLN9457. Individual pin route is a PIA.

Tech792

I've been doing it for so long with needle nose pliers I got good at it. But I tin the wire first, then heat it with the iron once I'm done crimping.

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
The Techni-tool crimp is like the AMP field service tool and can do a wide number of different contact sizes so it has some versatilely in that regard. Biggest mistake is not realizing the contact has two crimp zones. One for the bare wire and other for insulation. Typically you use different crimping areas on the tool. Always have more contacts than needed as you "may" butcher a few and have to repeat on a shorter length wire. Once you has some proficiency with the tool it works well to roll the ears into the wire or insulation. Only down side I know of is you hand will get sore. I've used the high end, high dollar and calibrated tool and trust me you can butcher a contact with that too. The up side for the high dollar tool is your hand never gets sore. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.