crocodile hunter killed

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevecubfan

Premium Subscriber
steve irwin the crocodile hunter was killed monday filming a documentary on the great barrier reef in northeast queensland state by a stingray jab to the heart.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Messed up.
Last night my wife and I were 'attacked' by skunks in our backyard (I am a city person and live now in the 'burbs'). After the skunks scared her inside she mentioned that we should jokingly hire the Croc hunter to get rid of the stinky pests.

RIP.

grant

Re Steve Irwin

Suprisingly way to go
One of the experts at the Sydney Aquarium (and whom himself has been stung by a stingray when he walked on one in the surf) looked up the history of stingray deaths in Australia .... only 2 previously.

In far NE Queensland waters you are more likely to die from coming in contact with the box jellyfish (hint: there are no surfers in these tropical waters because of these little buggers). Once you leave Port Douglas (a tourist port) it is a pretty long ride out to the reefs, even in high-speed boats. So if you get into serious trouble you are pretty well a goner

Grant

grant

Steve Irwin's death caught on film

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,20349888-5005941,00.html

Croc Hunter's stingray death caught on film
By Ian Gerard and Tony Koch

September 05, 2006 12:00

FOOTAGE of Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin being fatally gored by a stingray on the Great Barrier Reef has been handed to Queensland police as fans worldwide come to grips with the "freak" death.

Irwin, 44, was killed almost instantly when the stingray stabbed him in the heart with its poisonous 20cm barb as he snorkelled off Port Douglas, in north Queensland, yesterday morning.

His American-born wife, Terri, was trekking in Tasmania's Cradle Mountain and Lake St Clair National Park when the news broke of her husband's death and was last night being raced back to Queensland with her two children Bindi, 8, and Bob, 2.

"The footage shows him swimming in the water, the ray stopped and turned and that was it," said boatowner Peter West, who viewed the footage afterwards.

"There was no blood in the water, it was not that obvious ... something happened with this animal that made it rear and he was at the wrong position at the wrong time and if it hit him anywhere else we would not be talking about a fatality."

Irwin was shooting a documentary on dangerous marine life, in shallow water at Bat Reef, about 32 nautical-miles offshore, about 11am (AEST).

Tributes poured in from around world for Irwin, a renowned environmentalist who was estimated to be earning more than $4 million a year from his Queensland reptile park, Australia Zoo.

Footage of the attack shows Irwin swimming above a 2.5m stingray before it turns on him and sends a poisonous barb through his heart.

Irwin was pulled from the water by a cameraman and a crewman, put on an inflatable tender and taken to a support boat about 500m away.

Crewmembers said he was barely conscious in the minutes after the sting, but died as his production team rushed him to his vessel, Croc One, and to a nearby island for emergency treatment.

A charter dive boat crew desperately tried to revive him on the beach, but were unsuccessful and he was pronounced dead shortly afterwards by Queensland Rescue Service officers, who had flown to the area by helicopter.

Irwin's body was last night flown to Cairns for a post-mortem as police seized all available evidence and interviewed witnesses in order to prepare a report for the Coroner.

A coronial inquest is expected.

Producer, director and life-long friend John Stainton yesterday said Irwin did not provoke the stingray and was simply swimming above it when he was attacked.

"He came over the top of a stingray and the stingray barb went up and into his chest and into his heart," producer Stainton said.

"It's likely that he possibly died instantly when the barb hit him and I hope he felt no pain."

One of Irwin's contemporaries, internationally known cameraman and spearfisherman Ben Cropp, was in his own boat off Port Douglas when Irwin was killed.

"I have just spoken to a cameraman friend who was there and has seen the footage," Mr Cropp told The Australian last night.

"He was up in the shallow water, probably 1.5m to 2m deep, following a bull ray which was about a metre across the body - probably weighing about 100kg, and it had quite a large spine. The cameraman was filming in the water."

Mr Cropp said the stingray was spooked and went into defensive mood.

"It probably felt threatened because Steve was alongside and there was the cameraman ahead, and it felt there was danger and it baulked.

"It stopped and went into a defensive mode and swung its tail with the spike.

"Steve unfortunately was in a bad position and copped it.

"I have had that happen to me, and I can visualise it - when a ray goes into defensive, you get out of the way.

"Steve was so close he could not get away, so if you can imagine it - being right beside the ray and it swinging its spine upwards from underneath Steve - and it hit him.

"I have seen that sort of reaction with rays - with their tail breaking the water, such is the force."

Internationally renowned jellyfish sting expert Jamie Seymour was on board Irwin's boat at the time.

Irwin had decided yesterday morning to shoot a segment of film on stingrays for a new television program that will be hosted by his daughter Bindi.

Surf Lifesavers national marine stinger adviser Lisa-Ann Gershwin said there had only been 17 fatal stingray attacks worldwide. "I think it's just an extraordinary freak accident that has happened to his heart," she said.

"A lot of people will be afraid by this, but they need to keep in mind that this was a freak accident, it was a terrible tragedy but it is not common."

Dr Gershwin said stingray stings to the legs or arms were common and, while painful, were not normally considered dangerous. She said there were many different types of stingrays, with barbs on their tails up to 30cm long, and they poisoned victims with a range of toxins.

Mr West said the barb was like a "very rough knife" and while fatal stingray stings had been known to occur, filming and swimming alongside the animal was commonplace among marine filmmakers.

Mr Cropp said he was told that the strike was "close to the heart and Steve had a cardiac arrest".

"At first they treated him as being wounded, but he didn't survive unfortunately," he said.

"The second boat in attendance raced in to give assistance and they radioed for help.

"They went into Low Isle and met the chopper which took Steve's body out."

In September 2004, Mr Cropp was attacked by a tiger shark on Bott Reef. "The rays in Australia and particularly in the north are not like those on the Cayman Islands, which are very quiet and allow people to ride on their backs," he said.

"At this time of the year they are on the lookout for tiger sharks and are very frisky.

"They are not aggressive. In fact they are very timid, but they defend themselves by throwing their tail spine upwards, and there is a spike on the tip about 20cm long which they can use like a dagger."

xml

Yeesh... they are such nice creatures too...

But damn box jellyfish... I stepped on some leftover tentacles in Bowen, QLD... Nasty, nasty, sting.

ve9fc

we have heard about it in Canada and To my Son (8) this is a terriable Loss. My Son and I really Enjoyed watching Steve here in Canada and we have been able to Learn about some of the Miss understood animals in the Wild Due to his televised Programs

It's a Great Loss to Austraila and a Great Loss to the World.
thoughts and Prayers to Terry, Bindi and Bob

grant

Steve Irwin Memorial Service

The 1 hour Steve Irwin Memorial Service has just concluded in Queensland .... apparently on 2 or 3 hour delay to the US .... on the Discovery Channel show ... "Animal Planet" at 9-10pm ET/PT

Grant

cristisphoto

EJB said:
Messed up.
Last night my wife and I were 'attacked' by skunks in our backyard (I am a city person and live now in the 'burbs'). After the skunks scared her inside she mentioned that we should jokingly hire the Croc hunter to get rid of the stinky pests.

RIP.
During my Urban camping years
i was waken by Growls
I thoiught UH OH Dogs
Looked closer four Dang Racoons weer all round me looking for berries that were growing
And I had scared them...
SOOO
I went Back Under my blanket and went bak to slepp thay left me alone
Usually it the human's error
See these creatures UNLIKE humans are VERY SIMPLE
They attack over food, tettitory and it ONLY for what they need to breed, eat on etc
Humans kill/attack it for show, Flossing, greed money
status etc..
Some other species as well wll but not many
So my point is I guess is to ALWAYS REMAIN CALM
they can smell fear and aggression...

Be still inside your soul and it show outward and you should be AWW IIGHT
Anywyays
Bear in mind they were here first we came muhc later...
So anywyas
Crista

elk2370bruce

The highlight of the memorial was the sophisticated-beyond-age presentation of eight year old daughter Bindi. Steven would have been so proud of her! A tip of the yellow tinnie to his memory and for his daughter's awesome effort!

doug43qld

Well it was sad but well done when they loaded up his truck for the last ride .His camping gear, nets, surfboard , Bindi did a great job ! see you steve , TRUE BLUE AUSSIE ! .

cristisphoto

YEah May ALLAH keep peace upon Steve's Family as they are the living
Love
to all here
Crista

SCPD

QRT
I downloaded a tribute show to Steve Irwin off Bit Torrent and in it they said there has only been 17 recorded deaths from Sting Rays ever.

Now thats bad bad luck. RIP Steve...

Status
Not open for further replies.