• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Cross-Band Repeater

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I'm looking for an economical mobile radio that has a cross-band repeat function. Good selectivity is desirable, as I live near a pager transmitter that spams some radios across most of the VHF band. Interested in hearing user experiences using cross-band repeat, good, bad, and ugly.

DMR capability would be a plus.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
As in amateur radio bands or outside? Only know amateur from 2m/70cm, or 70cm/2m. FT-8900 works very well and can be set up in hyperscan, FTM-400, Icom 2820. Although I have not used Kenwood mobiles, they are work very well with the 710 having a couple of different ways to cross band repeat. Settings with Tones help avoid some interference.

Encouraging proper use of two-way radio spectrum including CB.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Cant beat the TM-V71a or TM-D710. Kenwood has the best implementation of cross band repeat of any of the major ham manufacturers

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
Cant beat the TM-V71a or TM-D710. Kenwood has the best implementation of cross band repeat of any of the major ham manufacturers

Except the V71a sends the CWID on both bands. If you are crossbanding 2M to 440 (where 2M is the repeater and 440 is the HT side) you don't need to auto ID on the 2M uplink (as long as you voice ID with your transmission). However it does every 10 minutes, blinding sending the ID on the repeater input and annoying everyone. We had a public safety event last year where someone had one and we had to get them to shut it off their crossbanding because it was interfering with the repeater.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
This will mostly be used for a business application, not HAM. So a radio that can transmit outside the amateur bands is required.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
This will mostly be used for a business application, not HAM. So a radio that can transmit outside the amateur bands is required.

Not just transmit outside, but is part 90 type accepted (if you are in the US).

I would suggest looking at a commercial mobile with a Pyramid or Vertex vehicle repeater if you want a robust way to do it.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Not just transmit outside, but is part 90 type accepted (if you are in the US).

I would suggest looking at a commercial mobile with a Pyramid or Vertex vehicle repeater if you want a robust way to do it.

Agreed. This is the route to go, Unless you want to spend bucks on an APX/XTL paired with a Futurecom repeater...

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
More expensive than the Pyramid, but cheaper than the APX:

You can do this with two Kenwood NX-5000 mobiles, even with a single control head.

Not cheap, but it's Part 90, Part 80 and will do amateur just fine.

If it was me, I'd do the Pyramid.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The repeater will not see heavy use. Are there any options that would fit in the "budget and entry level" category that would work reasonably well with a pager transmitter nearby?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Pyramid. I've seen them on e-Bay for $30 or so. Programming software is/was free on their website. Programming cable is easy to roll our own. Good support on the product. Well proven in the industry.

Pyramids are also sold under the Ericsson brand name, so search on that while you are at it. There's usually a bunch of them on e-bay at any given time. I've been tempted to pick one up myself, but then I'd have to get a UHF portable...

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The price is attractive, but the power output is a bit less than I'm looking for. Some tests have been done with a 5W HT, and it handles the interference OK but additional power would be useful. Anything similar to the Pyramid in the 25-50W range?

A mobile with cross-band repeat and decent selectivity is all that is really needed.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Anything similar to the Pyramid in the 25-50W range?

Why? if you are only using a portable, transmitting from the mobile at 5-10 times the portable power output is kinda pointless.

The only Mmobile repeater that offers more than a couple watts of output power is the Futurecom DVRS that transmits at 10w before the duplexer, but it MUST be interfaced to either a XTL5000 or APX mobile with the DVRS flash option.

Really, you are not going to find a "cheap" dualband LMR radio capable of crossband repeat with out making your own from two mobiles...

Vertex, Kenwood and Icom all make mobiles that have everything you need to interface the radios together on a DB-9/15/25 on the back of the radios.

There is a reason that Pyramid and Vertex mobile repeaters are so low powered...

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
if you are only using a portable

That is an incorrect assumption.

Users will be a mix of mobile and HT.

Using a cross-band capable HT as a repeater was done as a test.

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Sounds like to do this on a budget, you have two options:

1. Buy an old mobile that has the correct interface to roll your own setup.

2. Find a $130 Chinese mobile that does this, receives FM broadcast, makes toast, and washes your car.

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
For an old mobile, I'd look for a couple of older used commercial mobiles on eBay, (Like the Motorola Maxtrac or Kenwood TK series). I'd get one UHF model and another for VHF. Then, I'd link them with a cheap repeater controller.

bharvey2

Though I've never use one, I believe Wouxun makes a dual band mobile radio that can do cross band repeating. I recall reading that it is Part 90 certified too. (or as Part 90 as some of the CCR get.) Wouxun UV920 P is the model number. I recall Powerwerx rebadges this radio too.

12dbsinad

I'd just build it with 2 mobiles of the same model. You can use a inexpensive controller like a Midian. I'd stay away from any cheap china radios.

I've built many out of using Midian controllers. Just flip the switch, and you've got cross band repeat.

Status
Not open for further replies.