Crossmember on tower

Status
Not open for further replies.

GUNSABLAZIN

Premium Subscriber
I have a tilt up tower similar to some I've seen on this site. Made from 2" pipe.
I'm putting a crossmember about 3/4 of the way up to mount two wire j-poles that are inside pvc pipe.
If the crossmember is between 3-4 feet long each antenna will be approx. 2 feet from the mast. Will it affect the transmit/receive? I've seen antennas mounted this way before.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
What frequencies are you running?

Putting them too close can reflect some power, also make them slightly directional. I forget what the rule is about spacing, I want to say 1/4 wavelength, but I could be wrong.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
1/4-wavelength is the ideal spacing for directionality.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
1/4-wavelength is the ideal spacing for directionality.

Ah, that was it.

2 meter, 70cm., 1.25 meter, and commercial bands throughout this range.

So, 1/4 wave on 2 meters is about 19 inches, so you want something more than that. or it will be directional to some amount. I'd shoot for 1/2 wavelength if you can. that would be 40 inches on VHF, 12 inches on 70cm.

Keep in mind that a little bit of directionality wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. It might work to your advantage.

GUNSABLAZIN

Premium Subscriber
Direction?

If it becomes directional, which direction is the strong side? I'm guessing 90 degrees from the pole, both directions?? Yes?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The tower will block some signal, so reception will be stronger in the opposite direction.

cmdrwill

I have a tilt up tower similar to some I've seen on this site. Made from 2" pipe.
I'm putting a crossmember about 3/4 of the way up to mount two wire j-poles that are inside pvc pipe.
If the crossmember is between 3-4 feet long each antenna will be approx. 2 feet from the mast. Will it affect the transmit/receive? I've seen antennas mounted this way before.

Those 'wire' so-called j-pole antennas will go bonkers next to any metal, like sidemounted on a mast or tower. Anything metal close to them destroys not only their pattern but SWR also.

cmdrwill

Side mounted dipole, one for VHF and one for UHF.

Attachments

• comtelco dipole.jpg
    comtelco dipole.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 283

GUNSABLAZIN

Premium Subscriber
For now I'm not going with new antennas.
Suppose I raise the crossmember to the top of the mast? At that point there will be an A-99 for 10 meters between the two wire j-poles. 2 ft. clearance between all antennas. Way less metal anyway.???

GUNSABLAZIN

Premium Subscriber
Okay. Here's the plan. Since I'm dealing with an easy mount/up/down (tilt up mast), I'm going to try mounting them anyway. If it sucks I'll remove them and do something else. I wasn't really ready for this setback.

Thanks for the info though Guys.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
2 feet isn't enough mast separation for VHF, unless you want a directional pattern. 5 feet would be better. Especially if you're running J-poles.

Status
Not open for further replies.