The 94-96 Caprice were great cars They had the LT1-350 engine

Both Ford and Chev get around 20mpg on the hwy

OpSec

All your WACN are belong to us
Database Admin
icom1020 said:
The 94-96 Caprice were great cars They had the LT1-350 engine

Both Ford and Chev get around 20mpg on the hwy

I don't know what Caprice you've driven, but both of mine get at least 21/2 mpg and upwards of 25/6 mpg if I drive nice on the highway.

OpSec

Database Admin
whitesox4life said:
it all depends on what you are going to use it for. (stay away from chevy :-D)

Yeah because Ford is soooo much better, right? *rolls eyes*

All cars have faults, and all cars have moving parts that break. I don't think the CV is a bad car, but I won't own one.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
policeMonitor said:
thanks for the reply

so its an all around good car?

Having owned a 1995, 1999, and a 2002 Mercury Grand Marquis, (basically same as Crown Vic), I think they're great cars. However, in Michigan they don't do very well in the snow due to their rear wheel drive. So you need the right tires, and some weight in the trunk to get around good.

I finally give up on them, and picked up a Saturn VUE with FWD, and 8" of ground clearance. Snow is no longer a problem.

trace1

policeMonitor said:
im looking for a new used vehicle also can anyone tell me what kind of mpg the crown vics get?

More importantly though, doesn’t matter if you have a Ford, Chevy, or a Yugo, what kind of radio monitoring equipment do you plan to install??? ;)

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hi PM and all,

First of all there is no such thing as a new used anything. Once you get that straight you'll ask a reasonable question that can be properly answered. What you asked is the usual "What's the best ______?" which has no answer but a million opinions.

My answer is "Get a horse.", I just want to be different. Now don't you DARE ask how to mount an antenna on a horse! (;->)

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I was amazed at how little room there was for radio equipment in my Grand Marquis. They all had what they call the split-bench seat, rather than individual buckets with a center console. Make sure you get the individual buckets!

whitesox4life

impalas are nothing but toys. as a cop you cant keep up with kids in mustangs (watched a cop fall WAY behind to a 00 mustang in an 06 impala) so that should tell you that ford puts more POOP in their engines. I WILL NEVER OWN A CHEVY CAR, A TAHOE, MAYBE.

icom1020

Premium Subscriber
This is what a friend of mine relates about his 03 Police Interceptor mileage, in which he purchased new after it was delivered to a dealer with slight body damage and the dept refused shipment

"I usually get about 12-14 in town but that is commuting in traffic on my way home.
I would guess in normal use about 14-15 in town and 17-19 on the highway. I have done as much as 20-21 on the highway from LA to Vegas at about 70 the whole way with AC on.
It has a 4.6 SOHC Engine that has plenty of power and when you want to use it, it likes to eat gas."

OpSec

Database Admin
All Fords eat gas...it's their engine management.

My 95 Chevy with a 260hp 350ci V8 and loaded curb weight of almost 4700 lbs gets a solid 25 mpg, sometimes more like 28 mpg, on the highway. I've never seen a Crown Vic do that, police or civilian, in any form.

That said, the FWD Chevy Impala isn't worth the metal it's made from as a police car. It's great for a soccer mom to go to the grocery store, but nothing more.

dune614

I've never been a big fan of the crown vics, but I know from an internship that I did, that once they start getting high mileage (like around 90k-100k), they get very expensive to maintain. By that I mean that entire rear end assemblies, transmissions, even cranks and cams start to fail. If your buying used, keep this in mind. Also, if your buying a retired police vehicle, remember that it is a "work rental" vehicle. By that I mean that a lot of guys will beat the ever-living daylights out of it while they're working. I mean have you ever see anyone treat a rental car like it was thier own new vehicle? Basically the body will be good, but the drive train is a crap shoot. Also, they are total and complete sleds when it comes to the winter, especially if you live in an area of New England. On the flip side though, toys and other gadgets for them are abundant. Check out Galls.com for some of them. I'd recommend some alternative vehicles, but I dunno why you were specifically looking at the crown vic.

Status
Not open for further replies.