Cruise starts tomorrow, need tips

Status
Not open for further replies.

toybreaker

Premium Subscriber
I am not having much luck finding the freqs for Carnival Inspiriration and plan to do some hunting while on the ship. I am looking for tips on how to find the frequencies while on the ship. I will have my BC396XT, my laptop and freescan. Any tips are appreciated.

ecps92

Sadly we have had NO reports for the Inspiration.

However, use the Search of
457.0000 - 458.0000 and 467.0000-468.0000 as your Primary Search bands with both PL and DPL

Also Carnival tends to also use
464.2750, 464.3000, 464.3250, 464.3500, 467.1750, 468.3250, 469.2750
and 469.9500 in simplex as additional channels.

And don't exclude the VHF [All of them, include the International channels] Marine channels as they get used on the Island and by the cruise lines for Tours

The other option beyond Search is to enter
457.5000, 457.5250, 457.5500, 457.5750, 457.6000, 467.6250
467.5000, 467.5250, 467.5500, 467.5750, 467.6000, 467.6260
, 467.7500, 467.7750, 467.8000, 467.8250

Please do Report back what you hear, as well as a listing by PORT of what you find for other ships.

I am not having much luck finding the freqs for Carnival Inspiriration and plan to do some hunting while on the ship. I am looking for tips on how to find the frequencies while on the ship. I will have my BC396XT, my laptop and freescan. Any tips are appreciated.

toybreaker

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Bill, I am compiling a list of what I should be searching, this is a big help.

I see in many cases when people list what they heard they are very detailed about what the channel is for. Does the radio tell you some of this or is it just from listening for awhile and figure out what the channel is used. How about ships, do they generally use the ship name as a call sign? "Inspiration 1 to Inspiriation bridge, where do we store the coffee?"

I wasn't so excited about this cruise but I am getting more excited now...scanners rock, so happy to be back.

ecps92

Basically it's easy [if in English, or you know Spanish, Italian etc] to figure out channel use.

Docking Ops = Bridge Ops
Talk of bunker barges, fuel = engineering
Talk about Rooms and cleaning = housekeeping
and then tour ops = Tour Desk etc

Good luck with Names, not usually.

But making a list [note paper] of who/what you hear in port and at sea will help. You should have no problems as your the only ship in each port, w/exception of Cargo Ships

04.02 Los Angeles - only the Inspiration
04.03 Catalina - only the Inspiration
04.04 Ensenada - Only the Inspiration
04.05 at Sea
04.06 Los Angeles - Only the Inspiration

Thanks Bill, I am compiling a list of what I should be searching, this is a big help.

I see in many cases when people list what they heard they are very detailed about what the channel is for. Does the radio tell you some of this or is it just from listening for awhile and figure out what the channel is used. How about ships, do they generally use the ship name as a call sign? "Inspiration 1 to Inspiriation bridge, where do we store the coffee?"

I wasn't so excited about this cruise but I am getting more excited now...scanners rock, so happy to be back.

wish my cruise started tommrow

Have a great time toybreaker, are you departing San Diego?
or San Pedro/Long Beach?
and what is your destanation??
I sorry do not have anything for that ship so maybe scan the 400mhz band.
dont froget the marine band stays the same

DW
SoCal

mancow

Database Admin
I brought an IC92AD and my PSR500 on a Carnival ship (can't recall the name right now). I never did find any active freqs. However, I did scare the hell out of a kid who was smoking a blunt when I was messing with the radio while walking up one of the covered outdoor walkways. I think he assumed I was ship personnel.

chipster27

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for all the input. We just returned from a 3 day cruise on the Inspiration. I brought my scanner and had no luck finding anything. Although I bought this scanner the day before the cruise I might not have been using the search function properly, or I might have hit on something and not known it. I searched FRS, Quck search - Marine, and the frequencies listed above. I'm not familiar with searching trunking systems so I'm guessing they might be using a trunking system and I just didn't know how to search it.

I did find a couple hits on the FRS search, basically just kids talking to each other. I was kind of bummed I didn't hear anything as it seems like there is always a lot of activity, especially when docking.

ecps92

You might need to become more familiar with the radio itself, so many new buttons :wink:

Totally suprised no VHF Marine

Thanks for all the input. We just returned from a 3 day cruise on the Inspiration. I brought my scanner and had no luck finding anything. Although I bought this scanner the day before the cruise I might not have been using the search function properly, or I might have hit on something and not known it. I searched FRS, Quck search - Marine, and the frequencies listed above. I'm not familiar with searching trunking systems so I'm guessing they might be using a trunking system and I just didn't know how to search it.

I did find a couple hits on the FRS search, basically just kids talking to each other. I was kind of bummed I didn't hear anything as it seems like there is always a lot of activity, especially when docking.

Last edited:

chipster27

Premium Subscriber
You might need to become more familiar with the radio itself, so many new buttons :wink:
So true! I kind of expected that, but was hoping I could "stumble" on to something :)

I went from a Pro-90 I bought in 1999 to a Uniden XT396, they are worlds apart :D

I did notice that there appeared to be two kinds of radios in use. One looked like a telephone handset (cordless phone style) and the other looked like a traditional PTT radio handset. Looked like PTT were used by security and the phone handsets were used by everyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.