Cruising Eastern Med

Status
Not open for further replies.

gcgrotz

Going on a cruise next month aboard the Holland America Rotterdam. I have the business freqs programmed in, along with the marine freqs in my new VX6 that I'm taking. I do have one question: it came with a marine bank programmed in but is has over 200 channels in it, many of which are paging, police, business, etc in the US. Should I listen to these overseas or just the usual marine channels? On all my past cruises I only listened to the usual N.A. marine freqs and found plenty of activity.

I will also entertain suggestions or requests for monitoring in Athens, Istanbul, the Black Sea, Cyprus, Israel, and Alexandria, Egypt. I will not be taking the radio off the ship in Egypt, but all the other places should be good as I can operate on Ham bands under the CEPT agreement.

ecps92

It might make for interesting listening, to the Foreign Marine channels. Based upon observations [message boards] from the UK and Europe, many of the channels are assigned to specific companies, altho it is good to monitor the common 16, 9 etc.

It would be interesting to see if you find some other HAL channels during your Cruise as much that has been reported back has been from PORT Monitoring, rather than on the Hi-Seas. Enjoy

Keep an ear out for the other ships in port with you, as the region your traveling to has had little activity reported from.

gcgrotz said:
Going on a cruise next month aboard the Holland America Rotterdam. I have the business freqs programmed in, along with the marine freqs in my new VX6 that I'm taking. I do have one question: it came with a marine bank programmed in but is has over 200 channels in it, many of which are paging, police, business, etc in the US. Should I listen to these overseas or just the usual marine channels? On all my past cruises I only listened to the usual N.A. marine freqs and found plenty of activity.

I will also entertain suggestions or requests for monitoring in Athens, Istanbul, the Black Sea, Cyprus, Israel, and Alexandria, Egypt. I will not be taking the radio off the ship in Egypt, but all the other places should be good as I can operate on Ham bands under the CEPT agreement.

Status
Not open for further replies.