Cruising the British Isles

Status
Not open for further replies.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
My wife and I are planning on cruising on Princess Cruise lines (Ruby) in couple of weeks. Just noticed that the ship is using MOTOTRBO, so looks like my 436HP is not going to work for that. Wonder if anyone has any scanning experience with England, Ireland, Scotland, and surrounding areas. I believe that all law enforcement is encrypted. My question is "Is there anything to really scan over there?" or "Should I maybe leave the 436HP at home and just bring a portable shortwave radio?"
Any tips or advice are welcome. Thank you.
Steve AA6IO

ecps92

Sadly the Ruby has been caught only using TRBO, however there have been reports from other ships that use TRBO, that there might still be some Analog in use from time-time. Give it a try.

As for Europe, can't help there, but you never know what you might find.

Enjoy the Cruise.

My wife and I are planning on cruising on Princess Cruise lines (Ruby) in couple of weeks. Just noticed that the ship is using MOTOTRBO, so looks like my 436HP is not going to work for that. Wonder if anyone has any scanning experience with England, Ireland, Scotland, and surrounding areas. I believe that all law enforcement is encrypted. My question is "Is there anything to really scan over there?" or "Should I maybe leave the 436HP at home and just bring a portable shortwave radio?"
Any tips or advice are welcome. Thank you.
Steve AA6IO

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
I had a blast with a SW rcvr. one of the few times I was cruising...sitting on the deck, especially at night!

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
Yes mass-man, I have had SW receivers with me on cruises and like sitting on the deck with them.
Bill, thank you for website. I have visited it quite often. Take quite a few cruises with wife.
Steve AA6IO

Status
Not open for further replies.