Crusing from ON through the I-94 : what freq to listen to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rockblock

Crusing from ON through MI on I-94 : what freq to listen to?

Hi Folks,

I'll be driving from ON to Chicago through Detroit via the I-94 and was wondering what I should be putting in my scanlist to monitor activity across the I-94 (only interested in what's happening on the interstate)

I was looking at MPSCS but also wanted to know if there are any specific law enforcement TGRPs/agencies that patrol the I-94 that I should be focusing on (State Police/Troopers ?)

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thx

Last edited:
Hi Folks,

I'll be driving from ON to Chicago through Detroit via the I-94 and was wondering what I should be putting in my scanlist to monitor activity across the I-94 (only interested in what's happening on the interstate)

I was looking at MPSCS but also wanted to know if there are any specific law enforcement TGRPs/agencies that patrol the I-94 that I should be focusing on (State Police/Troopers ?)

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thx

That would be District 2 MSP for Oakland, Wayne, and Macomb Counties

rockblock

That would be District 2 MSP for Oakland, Wayne, and Macomb Counties

Thank you !

I didn't think the I-94 runs through Oakland & Macomb....I believe I'll be cruising through Wayne,
[SIZE=+2]Washtenaw, Jackson, Calhoun,Kalamazoo,Van Buren & Berrien[/SIZE][SIZE=+2]

[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+2]Also, I just found out that scanners are illegal in the car in IN, I assume that's not the case in MI?...just double-checking.

Thx
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+2]

[/SIZE]

drdispatch

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
Premium Subscriber
You'll want MSP District 1 for Washtenaw & Jackson, and District 5 the rest of the way. For District 5, you should put in both D5N & D5S, since they have been alternating between the two, and whichever one they are using at the time, all 4 posts are on there.

Scanners are now legal in a vehicle in Michigan, as long as you aren't using it to commit a felony. (And if you do, the scanner would be the least of your problems, I suppose!) And the last time I read the Indiana law, handheld scanners are illegal whether they are in a vehicle or carried on your person. Just make sure it's out of sight. You'll only be in Indiana for 30-45 minutes, depending on traffic.

Have a safe trip!

rockblock

You'll want MSP District 1 for Washtenaw & Jackson, and District 5 the rest of the way. For District 5, you should put in both D5N & D5S, since they have been alternating between the two, and whichever one they are using at the time, all 4 posts are on there.

Scanners are now legal in a vehicle in Michigan, as long as you aren't using it to commit a felony. (And if you do, the scanner would be the least of your problems, I suppose!) And the last time I read the Indiana law, handheld scanners are illegal whether they are in a vehicle or carried on your person. Just make sure it's out of sight. You'll only be in Indiana for 30-45 minutes, depending on traffic.

Have a safe trip!

Thank you - that simplifies matters and speeds up the search. Does District 5 also cover Wayne? Initially I've included D1+D2 as well as Washtenaw (81/82) and Wayne (82)

Thx for your feedback !

Last edited:

jimsokol

Premium Subscriber
Thank you - that simplifies matters and speeds up the search. Does District 5 also cover Wayne? Initially I've included D1+D2 as well as Washtenaw (81/82) and Wayne (82)

Thx for your feedback !
District 5 does NOT cover Wayne. D5 goes from Indiana state line east to somewhere past I-69.

Also, Be aware that State police also operates on the county talkgroups quite a bit in Berrien and Van Buren counties. If you limit to just the MSP talkgroups, you'll miss things. Talkgroups in those counties are 11COMS, 11COMN, 11P911, 80P911.

...jim

Actually i live close to I-94 In nd you could get all the cities along the interstate like dickinson,bismarck and Fargo. But thats all i could think of .

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
Actually i live close to I-94 In nd you could get all the cities along the interstate like dickinson,bismarck and Fargo. But thats all i could think of .

Well, since he's traveling through Michigan to go to Chicago he won't hear any of those cities.

rockblock

District 5 does NOT cover Wayne. D5 goes from Indiana state line east to somewhere past I-69.

Also, Be aware that State police also operates on the county talkgroups quite a bit in Berrien and Van Buren counties. If you limit to just the MSP talkgroups, you'll miss things. Talkgroups in those counties are 11COMS, 11COMN, 11P911, 80P911.

...jim

Thx, added those in as well as some other law enforcement from each county I'll be passing (just in case)

drdispatch

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
Premium Subscriber
Thx, added those in as well as some other law enforcement from each county I'll be passing (just in case)
Wayne -- D2; Washtenaw & Jackson -- D1; Calhoun & west from there -- D5.

And don't bother with Calhoun County law enforcement; they're all encrypted.

VE3RADIO

Be careful having a scanner in a car in Michigan is a federal offense and will land you in real trouble. IIRC like in NY State it is not a misdemeanor its a federal crime.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
Be careful having a scanner in a car in Michigan is a federal offense

Michigan is not a country, so it can't be a Federal offense no matter what ;)

But the Michigan scanner law was changed to allow them in cars years ago. Read drdispatch's post above.

rockblock

Michigan scanner law was changed to allow them in cars years ago.

Any links to the new law?...all I could find was: Act 328 of 1931 / 750.508. amended, which I believe is the old one

I wouldn't mind having a copy with me, just in case...

Thx

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.973 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

The state troopers in Washtenaw County are dispatched by the county sheriff, on 81 Metro West, as 12-xx units.

Status
Not open for further replies.