Crusing from ON through the I-94 : what freq to listen to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rockblock

Crusing from ON through IN on I-94 : what freq to listen to?

Hi Folks,

I'll be driving from ON to Chicago through IN via the I-94 and was wondering what I should be putting in my scanlist to monitor activity across the I-94 (only interested in what's happening on the interstate)

I was looking at Proj. Hoosier SAFE-T but also wanted to know if there are any specific law enforcement TGRPs/agencies that patrol the I-94 that I should be focusing on (State Police/Troopers ?)

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thx

Last edited:

K9WG

Greetings and welcome to Indiana. A word of caution, unless you fall into a very limited exception list, you can not posess a scanner in your vehicle in Indiana.

IC 35-44-3-12
Unlawful use of a police radio; exemptions; "police radio" defined
Sec. 12. (a) A person who knowingly or intentionally:
(1) possesses a police radio;
(2) transmits over a frequency assigned for police emergency purposes; or
(3) possesses or uses a police radio:
(A) while committing a crime;
(B) to further the commission of a crime; or
(C) to avoid detection by a law enforcement agency;
commits unlawful use of a police radio, a Class B misdemeanor.
(b) Subsection (a)(1) and (a)(2) do not apply to:
(1) a governmental entity;
(2) a regularly employed law enforcement officer;
(3) a common carrier of persons for hire whose vehicles are used in emergency service;
(4) a public service or utility company whose vehicles are used in emergency service;
(5) a person who has written permission from the chief executive officer of a law enforcement agency to possess a police radio;
(6) a person who holds an amateur radio license issued by the Federal Communications Commission if the person is not transmitting over a frequency assigned for police emergency purposes;
(7) a person who uses a police radio only in the person's dwelling or place of business;
(8) a person:
(A) who is regularly engaged in newsgathering activities;
(B) who is employed by a newspaper qualified to receive legal advertisements under IC 5-3-1, a wire service, or a licensed commercial or public radio or television station; and
(C) whose name is furnished by his employer to the chief executive officer of a law enforcement agency in the county in which the employer's principal office is located;
(9) a person engaged in the business of manufacturing or selling police radios; or
(10) a person who possesses or uses a police radio during the normal course of the person's lawful business.
(c) As used in this section, "police radio" means a radio that is capable of sending or receiving signals transmitted on frequencies assigned by the Federal Communications Commission for police emergency purposes and that:
(1) can be installed, maintained, or operated in a vehicle; or
(2) can be operated while it is being carried by an individual.

The term does not include a radio designed for use only in a dwelling.
As added by Acts 1977, P.L.342, SEC.1. Amended by P.L.162-1994, SEC.1.

I might add that the exception for Ham Radio operators does specifically require you to have a license issued by the FCC.

73 de K9WG

W9NES

Additional: Ham Radio Operators who hold a VAILD fcc license fall under paragraph(6) of this said Indiana Law IC 35-44-3-12.Then you a LEGAL in the State of Indiana. As far as SAFE-T I would set up talkgroups for Indiana State Police Lowell Dist 13 as Lowell covers I-94 in Northwest Indiana.Also to keep up with Real Time Traffic Indiana Hoosier Helpers also work with ISP Dist 13 for persons who break down on I-94.All of the infomation you need is in the database under Indiana under the Safe-t listing.

rockblock

ouch...I thought only NY had this ban,,,geesh, thx for letting me know...I guess that'll be a good break to listen to some music :)
Once again thx for the info guys.
Cheers !

K9WG

ouch...I thought only NY had this ban,,,geesh, thx for letting me know...I guess that'll be a good break to listen to some music :)
Once again thx for the info guys.
Cheers !
Hey no problem. BTW the Indiana law does forbid posession in a vehicle not just use. However if your scanner should just get buried in the trunk at the Michigan line, (cough, cough, nudge, nudge, wink, wink) I am sure nobody would be the wiser.....

nwiscan

Ive recently started scanning the frequencies again and have done so for many years on and off in the state of Indiana. I never realized until now that its illegal to have it in the truck.

I have never been "mobile" besides handhelds and thought it would be fun to build a mobile schack this winter. The last 3 weeks I have been planning and drawing up diagrahms, planning on which christmas presents I would be buying myself..... until I saw this and then later the sticky thread.

This post just saved me hundreds of dollars and put the nix on my fun.

rockblock

Hey no problem. BTW the Indiana law does forbid posession in a vehicle not just use. However if your scanner should just get buried in the trunk at the Michigan line, (cough, cough, nudge, nudge, wink, wink) I am sure nobody would be the wiser.....

yeah, it'll only be 30-40 mins anyway, will disable and throw in the trunk...if it's not legal, then it's not legal, period...time to focus on MI & IL

Thx y'all for your feedback, it's greatly appreciated !

W9NES

As far as being in the trunk look at IC 35-44-3-12 Section "C" paragraph (2) it spells it out and is very clear on the subject. "Can be operated while it is being carried by a individual"

IndyRick

Ive recently started scanning the frequencies again and have done so for many years on and off in the state of Indiana. I never realized until now that its illegal to have it in the truck.

I have never been "mobile" besides handhelds and thought it would be fun to build a mobile schack this winter. The last 3 weeks I have been planning and drawing up diagrahms, planning on which christmas presents I would be buying myself..... until I saw this and then later the sticky thread.

This post just saved me hundreds of dollars and put the nix on my fun.

Why don't you just invest a very few bucks, and a little time, and get your ham ticket, and you can do it legally? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.