• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Crystal for Cobra 140 GTL

Dovebar1

I am looking into replacing the X4 crystal (11.1125 Mhz) in
my Cobra 140 GTL to move it up into the 10 Meter Band.

Looking at the board the crystal looks like it is soldered. I am looking at purchasing a replacement online and does the crystal need to be wire leads or thicker pin type leads?

I am sure the seller will know if it makes any difference which I use.
Any help will be highly appreciated.

Thank you, Jim.

Dovebar1

I am not intending to be using it on 11 Meters.
Wanting to move it permanently to the 10 Meter
Band so I want to remove the original crystal X4
and replace it.

N1EXA

FT8 Huntin Mudd Duck on the deep end of the pond !
Only based on experience its not going to be solder and go.
If you can get the crystal even to Oscillate in the tank circuit the radio is going to be way
out of band for what it was intended for - Some real tech experience is goint to be needed
to see if the radio will retune out of band for receiving and transmitting.
Soldering the crystal in can cause some heat dammage so i recomended the sockets with
a variable capacitor to see if you can get it to work and a package of plastic calibration tools.

Pete N1EXA

N1EXA

I looked on the Web and found a set that puts you 40 low and 40 High

My Cobra 148 goes on the high side by over riding the the 3 Code inputs to the MUX
and past 27.500 to 28.000 she gets pretty numb on recceiving. Not dead though !

Do you have a listing off the web for the 10 meter crystal ?
Does this put you at 28.305 for ch 1 ?????
Thats already a 1 Mhz jump from Ch 30 27.305

Im not saying you cant do this im curious on how to do this and have a functioning 10 meter rig !

Pete N1EXA

Last edited:

prcguy

Hams have been converting CBs to 10m since the 60s, a crystal and tune up are usually all that's required. One early CB, the Johnson White Face was originally sold as a 10m rig and Johnson later marketed it as a CB.

I looked on the Web and found a set that puts you 40 low and 40 High

My Cobra 148 goes on the high side by over riding the the 3 Code inputs to the MUX
and past 27.500 to 28.000 she gets pretty numb on recceiving. Not dead though !

Do you have a listing off the web for the 10 meter crystal ?
Does this put you at 28.305 for ch 1 ?????
Thats already a 1 Mhz jump from Ch 30 27.305

Im not saying you cant do this im curious on how to do this and have a functioning 10 meter rig !

Pete N1EXA

N1EXA

Hams have been converting CBs to 10m since the 60s, a crystal and tune up are usually all that's required. One early CB, the Johnson White Face was originally sold as a 10m rig and Johnson later marketed it as a CB.
Im running my Cobra 148 on 10 Meter FT8 Mode !
Got It !
Im just trying to get this guy to tell me where he is getting A x4 crystal for the 140
and how he's going to tune it to run so far out of Band ?

Pete N1EXA

Attachments

• 10MFT8.jpg
    10MFT8.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 4

prcguy

You can probably find an old Sams Photofact manual on the radio that will have all the schematics and alignment instructions. The radio should still function to some extent with a crystal swap and you just go thorough the alignment.

Im running my Cobra 148 on 10 Meter FT8 Mode !
Got It !
Im just trying to get this guy to tell me where he is getting A x4 crystal for the 140
and how he's going to tune it to run so far out of Band ?

Pete N1EXA