• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

CS7000 Power supply problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

DesertMan82

I work on the Marine base in 29 Palms. Part of my job is maintaining the PA system for the rifle range. They are using handhelds to talk to a pair of Harris CS7000s that then go out over the PA speakers. The CS7000s were purchased in 2014 but not put into use until 2017. They're in a sealed, air-conditioned rack inside of a small shack. Temperatures in the rack stay around 70 degrees.

The problem I'm running into (since I originally posted in 2019) is that the power supplies in use on these radios are very unreliable. I'm having a hard time sourcing replacement power supplies. Out of 4 vendors, only two answered the phones and were able to provide quotes. The cheapest being $530.

What I'm looking for now is to find out what external options there are available that would actually be reliable. Between 2 radios, I'm on 3 bad power supplies in less than 4 years.

DesertMan82

These radios only receive? And the audio is passed to a PA amplifier? Does the PA amp run off the power supply?
The radios are only being used to receive and then talk over the PA speakers. The PA runs through its own amps and power supply.

The Harris power supplies are internal to the radios and power only the radios.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
The internal power supply is 15 volt DC 400 watts. It probably would run just fine off a 12 volt DC power supply. You can usually bring the voltage on those up easily if you wanted.
If it was me, I'd probably get a rack mount 12 volt supply big enough to run both radios. Make sure it's got a good cooling fan.

I'd probably also look closely at the AC feed and make sure it's in spec. In an air conditioned enclosure, and running radios in RX only, I'd suspect there is something external that is causing this.

DesertMan82

The internal power supply is 15 volt DC 400 watts. It probably would run just fine off a 12 volt DC power supply. You can usually bring the voltage on those up easily if you wanted.
If it was me, I'd probably get a rack mount 12 volt supply big enough to run both radios. Make sure it's got a good cooling fan.

I'd probably also look closely at the AC feed and make sure it's in spec. In an air conditioned enclosure, and running radios in RX only, I'd suspect there is something external that is causing this.
The power coming in is somewhat unreliable. The enclosure has a big UPS that everything but the AC runs off of. That should be filtering the powering, at least somewhat, but we have had issues with the power coming into that area in the past. Generally it's been random outages.

Do you have any recommendations on a power supply? My training is more in general electronics repair and computers, so radio repair/modification is still somewhat new to me.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Newmar makes some 12 volt DC 40 amp rack mount power supplies that would work. They have a connection on the back for your load, as well as the option to add a battery backup.

I've got 6 of them at a site running 5 repeaters. Been running non-stop since 2011 without any issues. I've got a couple more of the 48 volt versions running at another site for longer than that. I purchased spares, but I've never even cracked open the boxes.

40 amps would be overkill for two control stations running RX only, but just in case anyone ever keyed them up at the same time, you'd be covered.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
Same here. Talk to your ELMR rep to find out if they renewed the warranty on the WRI radios. ERI did, so we just send ours back to L3Harris.

merlin

Look up Magnatek. One I have is GE P/N 19B01020P4. 0 to 24V, 15A continuous, 40A peak pulse.
Same size as the CS7000 supply. At the moment running a Ranger remote base I am refurbing.
Putting out 30 watts VHF . The supply went into service in '93 and still going strong. (wow,29 years)
Same supplies are all over ebay, Amazon, and Magnatek proper.
That will run your radio.
Truth told, I can't remember when or where I got this supply, A junk box perhaps.

improbable

Premium Subscriber
Many CS7000s came with an external power connector, on the back. That might get you buy. Astron makes some compact rack mount Switchers that are clean and reliable, 25A model would be fine even if one of the radios goes into transmit.

Any supply that'll fit inside the case can work. The originals were over priced and unreliable.

Astrodyne make alot of units that could work. I usually peruse their site when I have a one off need.

13.8VDC will work fine.

I work on the Marine base in 29 Palms. Part of my job is maintaining the PA system for the rifle range. They are using handhelds to talk to a pair of Harris CS7000s that then go out over the PA speakers. The CS7000s were purchased in 2014 but not put into use until 2017. They're in a sealed, air-conditioned rack inside of a small shack. Temperatures in the rack stay around 70 degrees.

The problem I'm running into (since I originally posted in 2019) is that the power supplies in use on these radios are very unreliable. I'm having a hard time sourcing replacement power supplies. Out of 4 vendors, only two answered the phones and were able to provide quotes. The cheapest being $530.

What I'm looking for now is to find out what external options there are available that would actually be reliable. Between 2 radios, I'm on 3 bad power supplies in less than 4 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.