CSP 3 way

Status
Not open for further replies.
3-way

When listening to the CSP, what does the expression, "Contact XXX 3 way", mean?

This is a flashback from the days when cars could only hear troops and troops could hear only cars. Their transmit and receive frequencies were different.

Today's translation: "Contact XXX Directly, Car-to-Car, rather than going through the troop"

fenway

When programming csp p25 one freq trunk do you use Dec or hex or just let it search on 996xt

csp p25 one freq trunk

When programming csp p25 one freq trunk do you use Dec or hex or just let it search on 996xt

Actually, no.

It's complicated.

If you want a CSP file for the 996XT that works, email doctordialtone AT att DOT net.

I remember when it was simply a matter of ordering crystals, then waiting patiently for them to arrive. 8 channels of pure delight!

N1TGE

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
This is a flashback from the days when cars could only hear troops and troops could hear only cars. Their transmit and receive frequencies were different.
You have no idea what your talking about "doc." CSP was conventional low band simplex. Try again.

firerick100

Premium Subscriber
You have no idea what your talking about "doc." CSP was conventional low band simplex. Try again.

you are right, csp was on low band I have a frequency directory from scanner master from 2005 and they have the old low band system listed as In example troop l and would share 42.520. and basically 2 troops would share a particular 42. freq

as far as the 3 way the original poster asked about-I listen to state pd extensively and 3 way maen they go on the car to car channel and the 3 people share info instead of using dispatch channel

N1TGE

Banned
That's right Rick. I started scanning years before the digital TRS went into place. It's much easier to monitor their comms now but I miss the skip that would come in. If I have some spare time I search the low band range and very seldom hear much. Most agencies have moved to high bands with more local coverage.

firerick100

Premium Subscriber
That's right Rick. I started scanning years before the digital TRS went into place. It's much easier to monitor their comms now but I miss the skip that would come in. If I have some spare time I search the low band range and very seldom hear much. Most agencies have moved to high bands with more local coverage.

oh yeah It is much easier now each troop has its own talkgroup so you know who it talking--as far as the skip correct me if im wrong but I believe the California highway patrol was heard on a sip and they are still on that band.

N1TGE

Banned
Yes, I have heard that too but I have not personally received any skip from CHP.

PJH

Premium Subscriber
I've never heard of that expression used by us, ever. On the TRS "up one" is common.

When the CHP used Motorola Micor dual receiver low band radios, they had a SP mic that had two PTT positions. One was on the duplex dispatch channel and the other was on the simplex outbound channel for car to car communications. This was carried over when they went to the GE RANGR mobiles which were also CHP specific.

The current Kenwood lowband they use do no suport this, and when going thru one of their new Rockwell based cars last year the mic was standard.

CSP during the heyday used Motorola Micors and towards the end of the lowband era they had Midlands with the compact remote heads, along with the four position rotary switch mounted in the dash (no am/fm radios were bought for the longest time until that delete option cost more than the radio itself). That rotary swtich was for the old cross arm 3 strobe bar. More "standard mounting" came with the Edge9000 Diagnosix bars. The early Edge 9000's with the in/out double flash strobes were also controlled with the four position knob. The options were cruise, front, rear, both.

For lowband monitoring, CHP and Missouri highway patrol can be heard early spring to mid summer with the summer storms - or if conditions are just right. I can get them in the lowband mounted in my vehicle all summer long. Missouri HP has a few 1KW towers they can use when they really need to get the signal out - however time is short as they are building a 700MHz system.

N1TGE

Banned
I recall hearing Missouri on a regular basis but that was back in the last solar cycle.. so I suppose it was around 00-01.

cg

Premium Subscriber
I have heard that phrase on CSP channels and it was used to tell a trooper to talk directly to the other unit. Whether or not it has roots in a real old CSP system (40s or 50s), or was brought into the CSP vocabulary by outsiders, I don't know.

chris

PJH

Premium Subscriber
Just like an "A" card, "Blue Card" or "Brown card" :) You didn't get bothered if you were on a brown card.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
CHP is still on 42.XXX megahertz. I was lucky enough to catch them on skip days back in the day with a good antenna on my roof. In fact, I do believe that it was so strong at times, that it interfered with local CSP communications. I had a few good friends on the CSP. I remember those little gray colored GE brand low band radios, and the Larsen brand nearly 6 foot antenna in the trunk. That was the sure sign that the car belonged to the CSP when you saw them on the highway off duty. LOL......

Manny

True

CHP is still on 42.XXX megahertz. I had a few good friends on the CSP. I remember those little gray colored GE brand low band radios, and the Larsen brand nearly 6 foot antenna in the trunk. That was the sure sign that the car belonged to the CSP when you saw them on the highway off duty. LOL......

Manny

True Manny,

I have been listening to CSP since 1970, via tunable VHF at first. Now - the scanner. My cousin was a radio man there - (2114R)

Back then, they used separate transmit / receive. Different talk-in and talk-out. Hence the expression "3-way". It's still used today, if you are a regular listener. Read on...

"In 1940, a revolution occurred in the land mobile radio industry, namely that the successful installation of a large scale VHF FM two-way (actually called three-way, because of the two-channel transmitters) radio system by Fred M. Link and Daniel Noble for the Connecticut State Police proved its superiority over the older low frequency one-way AM broadcasts and AM in general."

DIRECTORY OF MOTOROLA POLICE RADIO EQUIPMENT 1942-

"The individual transmitter and receiver scheme allowed mixing and matching, to some extent. The transmitters and receivers were labeled individually with their own model numbers, FMR- for the receivers and FMT- for the transmitters." Like this:

http://www.wb6nvh.com/Moto42/30DTrunk2.jpg

The typical usage is, "When you get close to the scene, contact 803 3-way."

That's a fact!

KCA 788!

izzyj4

Premium Subscriber
Man, that is a term for the longest time I worked there I didn't know what it meant! Usually it was one of the "older guys" that used the term on the radio. Plus some of the stories they told........................

Status
Not open for further replies.