CSP Callsigns........

Status
Not open for further replies.

ErikB

Feed Provider
Tried to search for an answer but could not find the info I was looking for. I saw a mention of a CSP callsign database, but could not find it. Anyway, I recently got a 996XT and have been able to listen to CSP again after years of only having having only analog capabilities. Montrose dispatch for the 5C troop have been handling traffic for "R" units and "S" units. They seem to be making traffic stops like the other 5C units, but have a different call sign designation. I heard the other night when one of the S units came on duty, he identified himself as corporal, not sure if that has anything to do with his call sign designation.

Also, when these CSP units come on duty, the give an IBM number. What does IBM stand for?

Thanks in advance for the info!

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
IBM is the serial number (unit number) of there MDT.

C = Captain
S = Sgt
R = Corporal

Many more have been posted here over the years but maybe we have not logged into a list.

Jim<

ErikB

Feed Provider

C = Captain
S = Sgt
R = Corporal

Many more have been posted here over the years but maybe we have not logged into a list.

Jim<

Cool, thanks for the quick response Jim, I appreciate it!

bak3r

IBM is employee ID number. I've worked there for almost 3 years and I still don't know what it actually stands for. But its more or less our "badge number".

ErikB

Feed Provider

C = Captain
S = Sgt
R = Corporal

Jim<

Your right, thanks Jim, I went back and looked at my notes and it was R-6 that identified himself as corporal when he came on duty with his IBM number.

Troop

Took me a while to find this so I thought I would post the direct link

Colorado State Patrol (CSP) (CO) - The RadioReference Wiki

I'm glad I found their radio codes, a bit different from what I used in Arkansas. In listening to their traffic stops, you can also learn the patrol areas since they use mile markers instead of cross streets. And, I wonder if 5C7 is as cute as she sounds!

Out of all those 10 Codes...we only use 22 of them..per policy

A bit OT but related

I am curious what the story is as to why there are no Lieutenants in the CSP. I heard somewhere that there used to be some.

bak3r

Out of all those 10 Codes...we only use 22 of them..per policy

And I think that was changed recently to remove almost all of the 22 to help communicate inter agency. I only use a fraction of the 22 while dispatching.

Troop

I am curious what the story is as to why there are no Lieutenants in the CSP. I heard somewhere that there used to be some.

back then LTs were the troop commanders, Captains were District commanders, and Majors were regional commanders....When they added LT Cols to the rank list it all trickled down and everything shifted upwards. In reality with our agency, Sgts are in reality the Lt's...half road supervision, half admin...the CPL's would be mostly road supervision

speard

Premium Subscriber
I've work for an agency that uses the phrase IBM for almost a decade, no idea what it stands for either.

rc104a

I've work for an agency that uses the phrase IBM for almost a decade, no idea what it stands for either.

International Business Machines - the first computer system. It used punch cards, the "IBM number" was the unique identifying number of the object the card was punched for.

Old technology, kinda like calling a modern hand-held radio a "pack-set".

Rick

rfburns

I am curious what the story is as to why there are no Lieutenants in the CSP.
It was done to give pay raises to the upper echelon when legislators were not in favor of it. As stated elsewhere, Lt's were promoted to Captain etc. Sgt.'s remained Sgt's. It was long enough ago that I don't remember what kind of a raise the Sgt's ended up with. It seems like it was during John Dempsey's tenure as Chief.

Status
Not open for further replies.