CSP Changes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

samcken

Premium Subscriber
Troop E seemed to have disappeared on my PSR 600 lately. Troops K and D ok, but not much E. Are they having issues? Changes? I heard nothing early New Year's eve from them.

Troop E

Troop E seemed to have disappeared on my PSR 600 lately. Troops K and D ok, but not much E. Are they having issues? Changes? I heard nothing early New Year's eve from them.

Hearing Troop E now on Site 5.

2:27 PM

samcken

Premium Subscriber
Hmm, Hardware?

Yes, I'm getting more now. Thinking about it, it seemed Groton town was also down. I went through the connectors ( I've got a cheap splitter) and changed threshold levels in my 668 and traffic has definitely picked up. I wondering if I should work on the antenna/coax connector this spring. Thanks for the reply!

PJH

Premium Subscriber
Antenna splitters are the root of all scanner evil

jim202

Just remember that when you use a 2 way spliter, you loose half your signal going to each port. That's 3 db to the technical tweaks. If you use a 3 way unit, it's even worse.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Just remember that when you use a 2 way spliter, you loose half your signal going to each port. That's 3 db to the technical tweaks. If you use a 3 way unit, it's even worse.

That's only true on a conventional spliter. The active multicouplers from Stridsberg for example, distribute signal evenly on all ports. They are even available in two port models. Receiver Multicouplers, Passive and Active, HF to VHF/UHF

Manny

PJH

Premium Subscriber
Usually you don't use splitters on scanners, kind of defeats the purpose :) Evwrythkng else isn't a standard splitter ;)

georged4997

Premium Subscriber
I also are having problems picking up troop e. Im wondering if they change frequencies every
few months. For the past 2-3 months im listening to one of troop k frequencies and troop e has been coming in perfect. My radio is bcd 996p2 with lmr 400 and a 800 mz yagi 6 ft above the roof. My radio also shows LNK when they talk. Link? I know in bad weather conditions its hard to understand. It happened just after the rain storm the other night. Im also only about 10 miles from troop e

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
Milford, Ct. perched high above Long Island Sound
Which control channel or Zone are you trying to hear them on? They may not affiliate with the zone you are monitoring. It depends on where the mobile is when transmitting, what zone he is closest to. I am hearing them 100% of the time on Zone 6 (853.9125 CC) and Zone 8 (853.3375 CC) from here in Milford. On occasion, they affiliate with Zone 5 (853.5625 CC). I cannot get the Zone 7 CC good enough to give a comment on that one (852.200 CC).
Best thing to do is monitor those control channels and see which ones you are or are not hearing.

zuzuski

They dont change frequencies every few months, they change (jump) frequencies every transmission!

Best idea instead of scanning / searching all sites, find the site that provides you the best coverage, and listen to your systems there. Fine tune things then.....

Being 10 miles from Troop E means nothing..... Franklin is in your back yard :cough cough:

MrAntiDigital

I guess we really didn't know how good we had it back in the old days. There were four choices to choose from regardless of where you were in the state.

It was;
42.04 - Troops E, G, H
42.48 - Troops F, I
42.36 - Troops D, K
42.52 - Troops A, B, C (?)

How easy is that ??? Terms like "interoperability", "encryption" weren't too familiar then. Of course we didn't have too many cell phones or computers either. And we probably didn't have this web site.

But when it came to listening to our scanners, it was just so much easier then. Suffering from signs of depression ever since.

Thank you for your understanding.

APX7500X2

The old days were much harder, Now I can hear both sides of the conversation on CSP no matter where the car is, I can hear mutable troops crystal clear from mutable areas in the state, I can listen to just 1 troop instead of the 3 or 4 on the 1 channel or I can listen to them all. Scanning has come a long way and has gotten so much better and easier than being limited to the 10 crystals and antenna on the roof
You can now listen world wide from your home, you have the on line scanners, I can now listen to stuff 100s or 1000s of miles away like they were in my living room with me. I was in Florida last year listening to FDNY and Boston like I was there. And if I want to take a walk I can bring the local stuff up on my cell phone and never miss a thing. Its such an amazing time for scanner listeners. Encryption is what it is, Us scanner listeners have made it much more prevalent with our ranting on the internet so we can't complain about people using it, when we caused the wide spread use of it in the first place.

samcken

Premium Subscriber
CSP Changes - My Problem

While I'm enjoying all the replies, I just wanted to give a quick update. The reason I have a splitter is because even with losses my 668 performs like a champ when hooked to the roof antenna. It has features my 600 does not, while my 600 seems to do better with emt traffic. Thus, a splitter. I found tweaking advanced parameters on the 668 brought out traffic I'd never heard. It dawned on me when I turned the squelch all the way down and heard no static, just silence. Now I have lots of noise until I increase the squelch to the right level. The values I had installed previously came from a post from another user, obviously in another area. EXPERIMENT WITH SETTINGS! Your location is unique and you may be amazed at the results. I was! The psr 600 came around when I cleaned up my scanning list. I had many frequencies that RR couldn't find in Ct. Don't know where I got them, but their noise made me keep raising the squelch to quiet them down. They weren't the only things I was keeping quiet. Plus I have less to scan now, decreasing scan times. Hope this info helps someone sometime. Cheers!

MrAntiDigital

The old days were much harder, Now I can hear both sides of the conversation on CSP no matter where the car is, I can hear mutable troops crystal clear from mutable areas in the state, I can listen to just 1 troop instead of the 3 or 4 on the 1 channel or I can listen to them all. Scanning has come a long way and has gotten so much better and easier than being limited to the 10 crystals and antenna on the roof
You can now listen world wide from your home, you have the on line scanners, I can now listen to stuff 100s or 1000s of miles away like they were in my living room with me. I was in Florida last year listening to FDNY and Boston like I was there. And if I want to take a walk I can bring the local stuff up on my cell phone and never miss a thing. Its such an amazing time for scanner listeners. Encryption is what it is, Us scanner listeners have made it much more prevalent with our ranting on the internet so we can't complain about people using it, when we caused the wide spread use of it in the first place.

APX7500X2, I must agree on that. The online services have changed the entire scanner world.

Once living in Bridgeport I would regularly listen to the FDNY about 50 miles away on my scanner. Then I relocated some 120 miles from NYC. No longer was I able to hear the FDNY. Despite the best options available and having an outside antenna on my roof at my home over 300 feet above sea level, it just didn't happen.

Along came computers and somebody told me I could now listen to the FDNY at my home. I tried it and couldn't believe the results. I regularly tune in Orlando, Philly, and Providence as well. Any way of getting two or three at a time ?

I asked a good friend the other day, "what kind of scanner should I buy today". He then reached into his shirt pocket and pulled out his cell phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.