CSP Forms new Immigration Unit

Status
Not open for further replies.

skipshark773

Colorado State Patrol Creates Unit To Enforce Immigration

Story by thedenverchannel.com

Gov. Bill Owens signed a bill into law Tuesday that will launch a new unit aimed at enforcing immigration laws and laws against human trafficking and smuggling.

"There are few crimes more heinous than the smuggling and trafficking of human beings. Enforcement is a key element in the state's efforts to stop this appalling practice and the new CSP unit will play a critical role," Owens said.

The immigration unit will eventually include 24 members. Colorado State Patrol said they need this unit to deal with both traffic safety and immigration issues.

"We don't want to take the resources from traffic safety out on the road," said trooper Eric Wynn. "This is a resource for our agency so we can continue to achieve our goal to improve the traffic safety on the road ways."

On July 1, 12 current Colorado State troopers will join the team specifically targeting immigration enforcement on the road. They will be trained both by the Colorado State Patrol and by federal agents with Immigration and Customs Enforcement. It's a program modeled after similar effort in Alabama, Florida and Arizona.

Colorado State Patrol will add another 12 members with the intention of being fully operational by July 2007. They will also add new troopers to the State Patrol to replace those moving to the program.

Last week Gov. Owens signed two other bills that make human smuggling and human trafficking felonies.

Copyright 2006 by TheDenverChannel.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

http://www.officer.com/article/article.jsp?id=30859&siteSection=1

Troop

my opinion, a total waste of resources. They make it sound like the 24 troopers they are taking are going to be instantly replaced. What they dont tell you is that we have roughly the same amound of staff that we had in the 70's and we're far behind in staffing. All these units ie Immigration, Homeland Security, that the Gov keeps creating does nothing but zap troopers off the road, where they belong. Quite aggervating for the road Troops.

firescannerbob

Feed Provider
I agree troop...Not enough troopers to go around, and now we pull a couple of dozen off the road to do the Feds job. That makes a helluva lot of sense!

cstockmyer

I would think when you drive a desk all day you have no idea how it is out where the rubber meets the road. I agree with Troop, this is a stupid idea. Politics should stay out of Law Enforcement.

jeffreyinberthoud

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
cstockmyer said:
this is a stupid idea. Politics should stay out of Law Enforcement.

I agree ,however Ritter will never go for this. they (Illegals) Helped get him in office.
call it what it is

HERE IS THE REAL ANSWER PUT EVERY ONE OF THEM ON BUSSES WHEN THEY GET TO
THE BOURDER GIVE THEM ALL M16'S AND POINT THEM TOWARD MEXICO CITY
LET THEM SOLVE THERE OWN COUNTRIES PROBLEMS
WE ALL WIN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Troop

dirtfinder said:
Ive been hearing Immigration-7 on the 3B Disp., Is this part of this placing Troopers on Immigration duty?

It's actually on 1A, and no...the transfers are not officially in effect untill later this month but for the sakes of logistics they changed his call sign early...he is still doing Road Trooper Duties for that troop. You probably wont be hearing them do anything until summer rolls around

Status
Not open for further replies.