CSP in ‘The Gap’ on I-25 - Excellence!

Status
Not open for further replies.

county

Premium Subscriber
I routinely travel I25 between Denver and Colorado Springs. I wish I’d come to the realization sooner that dedicating a radio to monitoring just CSP 1C-Denver and 2B-Pueblo tells me everything I need to know on this route. The situational awareness about crashes, road hazards, slow-downs, wredi (sp?] reports, real time road conditions, etc. is unbelievably useful. I’ve been able to divert appropriately to 83 or 105 to avoid slow-downs/closures on 25. And if I see an egregious wredi that was previously aired, you bet I’ll call in to update location.
But on a more important and less self-serving note, I am super impressed with the go-getter attitude of the motivated troopers that seem to truly care about safety of the public. Rarely have I heard a city PD unit say the are setting up and waiting/watching for a wredi report vehicle (although I realize call volume can be a factor with a PD).
I‘d never listened to CSP much previously, and I’ve a new appreciation for that organization.

county

Premium Subscriber
Oh, and not to mention, numerous motorist-assists, pushing disabled/wrecked vehicles out of traffic/danger, and diligence in reopening lanes as soon as possible!

David628

Premium Subscriber
I believe the the "ready" reports are pre-populated CAD entries the dispatcher has built in the system from the call which are then sent to the trooper in cases where they are close to the incident and "accept the challenge" to chase after the prize (i.e. roads rage rangers, general idiots doing stupid stuff behind the wheel, drunks etc.).

I also listen on my drives to 1C and 2B troopers from the springs to Denver. I have been doing so for years since 2001 and would agree with your assessment of the CSP in the corridor and their professionalisim.

David628

Premium Subscriber
On a side note. Once that third lane opens up in the corridor people are going to "crank up the stupidness level" and the calls we hear over the 1C and 2B radios should be even more entertaining :)

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
If you are interested at all, CDOT's dedicated I-25 South Gap Courtesy Patrol operates on Douglas County Special Assignment 3 (TG 1077). They have a "North Gap" and "South Gap" unit and will typically be the first on scene of almost everything before anyone else. Douglas County responding units also have direct access to this TG to talk directly to the patrols as needed. Just some warning that they are not the most concise over the radio.

county

Premium Subscriber
If you are interested at all, CDOT's dedicated I-25 South Gap Courtesy Patrol operates on Douglas County Special Assignment 3 (TG 1077). They have a "North Gap" and "South Gap" unit and will typically be the first on scene of almost everything before anyone else. Douglas County responding units also have direct access to this TG to talk directly to the patrols as needed. Just some warning that they are not the most concise over the radio .
This is exactly the kind of nugget that makes this forum so valuable - look forward to monitoring this TG also next time I run the route. And I have grace for less concise radio protocol by CDOT if the info is useful and timely!
And REDDI defined by N0DOZ is fantastic also!

David628

Premium Subscriber
From my cop days: REDDI as in Report Every Drunk Driver Immediately.

Thanks for pointing that out. According to this site: Can a REDDI Report Be the Legal Basis for a Traffic Stop?

By Brett Snider, Esq. on August 14, 2014 7:58 AM

What is a REDDI report, and can it be used as the legal basis for a traffic stop?

A REDDI report (the acronym stands for "Report Every Dangerous/Drunk Driver Immediately") is a way for civilians to notify law enforcement when they notice dangerous driving conduct. They also may serve as part of the legal justification for a police officer stopping a driver to investigate a traffic offense or even a DUI.

n0doz

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for pointing that out. According to this site: Can a REDDI Report Be the Legal Basis for a Traffic Stop?

By Brett Snider, Esq. on August 14, 2014 7:58 AM

What is a REDDI report, and can it be used as the legal basis for a traffic stop?

A REDDI report (the acronym stands for "Report Every Dangerous/Drunk Driver Immediately") is a way for civilians to notify law enforcement when they notice dangerous driving conduct. They also may serve as part of the legal justification for a police officer stopping a driver to investigate a traffic offense or even a DUI.
Back in my traffic division days, the explanation of REDDI always included that reports from the public alone did not constitute probable cause, but that the officer locating the subject of a report would need to develop his reason for stop himself. We occasionally got REDDI reports in the city, and on those occasions when a subject vehicle was located, it usually didn't take much to find a reason. My own experience was that the majority of the public will only recognize the most egregious cases, the "all over the road" ones, rather than the more subtle "borderline" drivers that might commit a violation once or twice. Those are actually the most dangerous, since the average untrained person won't detect them and end up in their path.
"Interesting" stuff from my 9 years in the DPD DUI-DRE Unit.....

Status
Not open for further replies.